Siri can´t speak Norwegian

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Telesmurfen, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Telesmurfen macrumors newbie

Telesmurfen

I just bought the new Apple Watch series 3, with one of the highlights being Siri voice feedback. However, after some research, it turns out that this feature is not available in my native language, Norwegian (and quite a few other languages). Does anyone know if this issue is to be addressed in a future update soon..? I find it strange that Apple doesn’t mention this on their website (not even the Norwegian site). Even stranger is the fact that Siri voice feedback is available on both the iPhone and the MacBook. So, it turns out that the watch is the only unsupported device. The other highlited feature of the series 3, is built-in LTE, which obviously isn’t available in Norway either.. so all in all, this product seems to be a rather modest update of the series two. Of course, a faster processor, better battery life, better heart monitoring and better sensors make the update ok.. just feels that it could have been even better, and it seems illogical not to include «Siri speaks», as the voice is available on my other devices

2. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

You have to put your watch on a charger so it can download the voice. It uses theund same as your iPhone.

3. RoyBoy99 macrumors newbie

RoyBoy99

I have a 42mm series 3 Cellular bought in UK two weeks ago and a 38mm cellular bought in Japan last week. On one I am using English and on the other Norwegian. They both work perfectly. I can even send and receive text messages and phone calls on both watches providing the iPhones have cellular connections. They both work with or without WI-FI on Telia. Siri works perfectly in both languages.

4. RoyBoy99 macrumors newbie

RoyBoy99

I should add that not everything works as it should. If you wish to send/receive messages and phone calls you must have your iPhone with you. The “leave the phone at home” bit does not work.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It is a carrier limitation not a Watch limitation. The restriction to have your iPhone with you is caused by Telia not supporting the Watch's LTE and a form of Number Sync/Sharing. It is a carrier limitation not a Watch limitation.

Dave

6. RoyBoy99 macrumors newbie

RoyBoy99

Thanks for the comment Dave. I do realize this. I was told by Apple Norway that the cellular part of the phone would not work at all in Norway and that is why Apple won’t sell them in Norway until sometime next year. I realized that this was ******** so I bought one in USA and another in Japan which both work as long as we have our phones with us. I look forward to the day when Telia supports the watch fully.

7. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

The functions you mention is what has been working since the first watch - you have always been able to take and make calls and send and receive messages with your phone nearby

It’s the same functions without your phone nearby (or WiFi) that’s not supported in other countries because of the eSIM standard