Siri data usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by backinblack875, Nov 1, 2011.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

anyone have any idea how much data siri uses over 3g??

2. phaggard macrumors regular

I assume it only uses data when you ask it to find something on the internet, the same as if you do it. The voice translation is all done in the phone. If you ask it to do something that requires data it should just translate the voice to the same data commands that would come from the keyboard or touchscreen.

3. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

but it requires some form of internet connection to work in the first place, either wifi or cellular...so i assume everything it does uses data?? doesn't it go to some servers of apples?

perhaps i am mistaken

4. phaggard macrumors regular

Try using Siri with all your data connections off. It will still work but will not be able to get any data from the internet. You are not connecting to some external server to talk to Siri. It's on your phone. It's just a voice control of your phone. If you ask Siri to search something it will go on the internet and find the info just as if you typed it in a search.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Saw an article on this very topic earlier today by ArsTechnica and hope it helps backinblack :)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

"If you use Siri 2-3 times per day at an average of 63KB per instance, you might expect to use 126KB to 189KB per day, or 3.7 to 5.5MB per month.

"For 4-6 times a day, that might come out to 252KB to 378KB per day, or 7.4 to 11MB per month."

"If you use it 10-15 times per day, you might end up using 630KB to 945KB per day, or 18.5 to 27.7MB per month."

6. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

7. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

ok so it was def something else that has sucked up my data this past month lol

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

I believe SIRI sends you voice data to its server for interpretation. It will not work without a connection.

Its why I hate using it for voice dial...its slow.

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

10. wratran macrumors regular

Siri is one of the biggest disappointment on the 4S....look at how much data it is using on a simple LOCAL TASK. Siri only works with a small percentage of people in the world...mainly in the USA

Apple failed to mention it in their marketing scheme how much of a data hog it consumed.

I guess...that was the only selling point for the 4S..which is an outdated handset when it was released....wind up returning it and stick with the I4 for now.