Siri doesn't know time or date.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lewys, Dec 26, 2011.

1. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

If i ask siri what the time is she says i don't know what the time is in (and it says my location) but if i say something like london or paris or japan it can tell me. Same if i ask what date it is.

I have seen it working on other phones, any idea why it isn't working on mine?

Also does siri always take ages to reply on wifi? sometimes it doesn't even answer me.

Thanks

2. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I dont have this problem, must be doing/saying something incorrectly. Are your location services on? Is Siri enabled in your location services?

And I dont notice a lag with Siri on WiFi. If anything, it would be more laggy on 3G.

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Same here. I'm also in London so I'm thinking it's because we're outside the US?

4. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

I say the exact thing on my phone and my Friends and it only works on his. I have tried a restore but still nothing

I had the phone two days ago. It worked once as soon as I had it but never again

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

It's to do with location services it seems.

With Location Services on:

[​IMG]

With Location Services off:

[​IMG]

6. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

Tried turning location off and it said "sorry something's wrong can you try again" so I turned them back on and now it's saying there is something wrong for every thing I say

7. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Same here, I think it's Apple's end. It's been going on and off quite a lot the last few days.

8. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

It's been saying something's wrong for you too? Maybe all the people had it for Christmas and its messing with the servers

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Yes, a lot actually. That must be the reason.

10. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

Ok, I just turned off map locations and now instead of saying I don't know what time it is in my street it says I don't know what time it is in my town.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I say false greeting during the day with location services turned on. Like saying "good night" while it was in the morning. Siri will speak out the actual time instead.

Yeah my place is outside of US so Siri is not working fully here. :(

12. Frietag macrumors newbie

It's not you it's your version of Siri.

Mine worked perfectly for weeks and then suddenly the voice changed and simple questions like "what time is it" suddenly became too complicated for it. i'm in North America so it's not an across the pond issue.

Reset the the phone to factory settings (a 1/2 hour process) and back to the original voice and the ability to answer all questions as she did prior to the change. Then suddenly the voice changed back to a robotic, almost depressed voice and functionality was sh-!te again.

the only answer anyone can give is "it's a beta product"

Funny, I didn't see that in any of the advertising touting this as the major selling point of the new phone.

13. pauliphone macrumors regular

Mine seems to be able to tell me the time when I'm not at home, however when I am at home I have the same issue.
    I think it might be a conflict with addresses stored in the phone book?

14. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

i dont think it is a conflict with addresses as i just restored and dont have any in my phone book.

also now if i ask the time it says that it doesnt know the time in newport. but if i ask what the time is in newport it will tell me.

so annoying

15. msandersen macrumors regular

Mine, in Australia, said it didn't know what the time (or date) was at a location not far from here (but not exactly here). I went to Location services and turned off Siri's location services, and now it gives the time and date when asked. Something of a Beta glitch it seems, as the location info ought to have the general location like town and country for the sake of determining time zone.
    As the map lookup only works in America with US English, I won't miss location services anyway. I expect over time things will change.

Incidentally, having experimented with a few of the various language settings, I can say I prefer the female Australian voice :)