Siri doesn't read new text.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hook'Em2006, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

If i ask Siri to "Read New Messages", she'll say "New Message from _____" then a pause and then "You can, read it again or reply". But she never actually reads the message. I don't get it... anyone else have those problems.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Do you have the headphones plugged in or have a bluetooth handsfree connected? I think SIRI only reads back the text in those modes.

3. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

You have to have text message preview ON. If it's off, Siri won't be able to read it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I get that too sometimes when people misspell words or type stuff that are short like "yea wher R U at?
    Then siri wont be able to read that.
    If its a complete sentence she will read it. If its just a few words and a smiley its not going to happen.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Siri will read any text, no matter the length however it will not do smileys or emoticons. Sentences do not have to be complete or make any sense whatsoever. All that Siri cares about is that you have your settings for Text Message Preview to ON. With this, she can read it to you.

Turning this on will mean that when you get a text on a locked phone, a preview will be displayed instead of "text message" also while in use, it will also display a preview of the message. I chose to turn this off as I did not want to lose my privacy. Also, know that Siri can be asked by anyone to read a text message. This is why you have to allow your text to be "public."

Make sense?

6. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok. I think i figured it out. If you ask Siri to read your new messages from the lock screen with preview turned off she won't. But if you unlock your phone and then ask, she will read it.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No, that won't do it. Siri only reads from the lock screen, if the message is still new/unread. Go to Settings, Notifications, Messages, Show Preview --> switch this to "ON"

8. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

You sir, are incorrect. I just did it 38.67 seconds ago.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Did you make the message viewable? If so, then of course Siri can read it. That's the point of Siri. She won't read anything that's easily accessible by the public. So, I still stand behind my answer. Your method may be right but only because you have lost your text message privacy and anyone ask Siri to read.

10. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I use a passcode on my iPhone. I also have "Text preview" turned off. I sent myself a message from my girlfriends phone, then proceeded to unlock the phone WITHOUT opening the new text. From the home screen I asked Siri to "Read new messages". She then read my new message from my girlfriends phone.

But you are correct, if you open messages and then ask it to read you messages, it will state that "there is no new messages"

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, siri would read some of my texts and others it would act like the OP said above. "New Message from _____" then a pause and then "You can, read it again or reply".
    I just turned on that option that you mentioned but even before that would be off it would still read them. Its just some that are misspelled or abbreviated it would skip and not read it at all.

I always had "text preview" off also cause I dont like anyone looking at my screen to see my texts.
    And siri would read most of my texts if asked.
    So I doubt its a text preview issue.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yes. Once Text message is accessible by others, Siri will read new/unread text message.

I've tried every which way to get around it, there was even a thread on here about it. Siri won't be able a text message that's private on the lock screen. That's why preview has to be "on" - it's a privacy issue that was implemented by apple. What good is protecting your text message when it can just be easily "read" - apple prepared for that.

13. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

A) Just to clarify re: comments above, as long as the texts are unread Siri will read them back to you, even with text preview off.

B) I really wish there could at least be an option for Siri to speak texts at a lock screen and NOT have to have the text preview on. I sent this to apple.com/feedback and urge others to do so as well if you agree that this option should at least be available.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

For (a) - I'm thinking you mean after the phone has been unlocked already and message hasn't been read yet. If so, then your point is valid.

15. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Yeah that's what I meant.