Siri Football results. What are these scores?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 835153, Oct 24, 2013.

1. 835153, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

835153 Guest

When I ask Siri about my football team underneath the team names are some scores. Some are in brackets (see screenshot). What are they?

I have 8-0 and 4-0. The last time my team won 8-0 was about two seasons ago.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That's American football. Seems like you're in the UK? Is your region set to UK on your phone?

3. 835153 thread starter Guest

Sorry should of made it clearer... the screenshot is from Apple.com but its the same for football/soccer. Heres the actual screenshot from my phone. 8-0 and 4-0.

Attached Files:

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

So you're saying the response displays the correct team? I realize that's not a screenshot from your phone, but what's showing there is not the score of the game, but those teams' records. What you're seeing in that screenshot shows that the Giants are 1-0 (they've won one game, lost none), and the Cowboys are 1-1 (they've won one game, lost one game).

If you're seeing 8-0, that would mean that your team has one 8 games and lost 0 games this season.

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

What team did you ask about?

Under the team names it shows their season record and in the brackets their road vs home record I believe.

So it shows the home teams home game record, and the away teams away game record.

In this case, the Chiefs are 4-0 at home this season while the Browns are 1-2 in road/away games.

Attached Files:

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Those are typically the team's current record.

So, something like "8-0 (4-0 Home)" would mean at the moment the team has won 8 games and lost 0 (and, at home specifically, they won 4 games and lost 0).

Fairly typical of most sports.

7. 835153 thread starter Guest

Must be how the Americans do it as it seems a little odd as you're repeating some of the of the scores with the brackets?!

Apple should use W L or D and put them in a row that you can scroll and click on for info on that result.

Telling me Real Madrid have won 7, lost 1 and then that they won 3 away kind of makes you think they've won 10 games. Its a bit daft as you assume that the 7-1 is home games as (3-0 Away) clearly states its away games.

Crazy. :D:confused:

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

The first one is their full record up to date, the second one in parenthesis is their either home or away record only (a subset of the full one) that relates to the particular game for which you are viewing the score--so if for that game the team was the home team, then their full record would be followed by their home record (while for the other team, that has an away game, their away record would be displayed after their full record).

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Huh? I know many Europeans who use and are familiar with this method.

7-1 is their overall record, they are 3-0 away (meaning they are 4-1 at home).

They're not repeating the scores within the brackets, as we mentioned the numbers listed there are their wins/losses. Game scores are not shown in either of these screenshots.

10. 835153 thread starter Guest

That makes a little bit more sense but I like my idea better. :D

H A H H A H
    W W L D W L

You could scroll along the form for the season and tap on each W L or D for info on the game. You can see short term form and season form in one view.

11. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I think that would be confusing. It would be the only horizontally scrolling element in Siri, at least that I'm aware of. I think the two values provide a good summary of each team's overall record. If you want to know how they did in each game, you can get that information for each team's schedule. You'll see the scores of each completed game, and all upcoming games. My only gripe here is that I wish they would distinguish between pre-season, regular season, and playoff games.

12. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

LOL well Apple is based in the US. Looks like it does the same thing MLS games as well.

Attached Files:

13. 835153 thread starter Guest

I know now they're not scores but 7-1 is not very informative. What if my team draws a lot of games. How does that look?

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They add a third number after it, something like 7-1-4

15. 835153 thread starter Guest

So which is which? :p

Its not a great way to do it in my opinion.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well, it's the way it's been for years, and is used in many countries for many sports.

Once you learn won, lost, draw, it's pretty easy to remember..

The way you suggest would be unecessarily cumbersome.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right. This isn't some sort of thing that Apple made up or is new, it's a fairly standard way to show team records that's been around for a long time, even before cell phones, let alone Siri and iPhones in general. It would actually be more weird to display something else or in some other way, rather than in a more standard way that's used in most places and has been for some time.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

By the way - do you by any chance have a brother named Callum? Or have you ever lived in the US?

19. 835153 thread starter Guest

Nope.