Siri in the Kitchen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Jan 1, 2012.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Me: "Siri, I want to make chocolate chip cookies"
    Siri: "Okay, I'm checking your refrigerator to see if you have enough ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies using your favorite recipe"
    Siri: "You have enough ingredients. I am preheating the oven to 3xx degrees. Here's your favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies." OR "You don't have enough ingredients. I will put a grocery list in your reminders." OR - if I buy groceries online: "You don't have enough ingredients. Would you like to go to the store or order the ingredients you're missing online?".

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Trying to figure out the point of this post is making my head hurt...

3. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

haha. I understand what he's saying. I often do this myself, think of different applications for software we have today. We have advanced so much in the past ten years, but there are so many places where we could be doing more...like the kitchen. I can't wait until the home is revolutionized. ;)

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's where we are going, of that I have no doubt

6. daaneel macrumors regular

whats the point of life if a machine is going to do everything for you?

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

More likely of technology such as replicators from star trek being more feasible in the future.

Currently some fridges do remind you of items getting low so maybe that could be forwarded to your phone !

And current recipe apps are getting better.

With all the clever developers out there if demand dictated it then supply could follow !

8. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah yes, Star Trek is kind of starting to become more reality than science fiction.

This is the future of the kitchen!

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Yup.

Example. Star trek flip communicator.
    Many mobiles were styled in that fashion.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I don't even know what's in my fridge ... how would my phone know?

isn't that why we guys always stand with the fridge door open ... looking for something to eat :D

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Probably because you used NFC to pay for your groceries. As a result, it knows exactly what you have. Create a recipe and it will know what you made.

Automations like this happen in the industrial setting all the time. Not necessarily voice activated.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So far 12 people were too stupid to figure out what the OP meant.

13. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Well, technology's main purpose is to make our lives EASIER. So, I suppose down the road a few decades if you needed to figure out what you wanted for dinner, told Siri that you wanted Italian, for example, and she pulled up a list of recipes, and from that list you picked out, say, Veal Saltimboca... Siri could figure out what recipes you have or require and place an online order for Peapod or some other type of delivery service and you'll have them delivered.

Sure, sometime down the road you may see HAL integration a la Space Odyssey where she'll set the oven too. Why not... It's really not that far fetched, all you need is essentially a central hub and network all your appliances into it, just like you would computers to a router.

14. daaneel macrumors regular

...Might as well as just order food to be delivered to your house instead of having a machine order you ingredients and also have a machine cook it. And thats even if siri is a good chef..

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think he is just trying to convince his wife he needs a new refrigerator. :)

16. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

If I recall correctly, the designers of the first flip phones were deliberately using the communicator as their influence.

I also see a taser as basically a phaser on stun. And the iPad clearly is similar to the PADD from TNG.

17. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Hence why they used a prototype iPad in the remake.