Siri in the UK. Will not recognise any reference to weather ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ANDYMILLMAN, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ANDYMILLMAN macrumors member

I'm aware of the issues with directions or business related searches not working in the uk but I also cannot get it to respond to any weather related question.

It just comes back and says uh oh something went wrong try again.

Give it a try and see if you have any luck.

"will I need an umbrella today"
    "what is the weather forecast for today / tomorrow"
    Etc etc

Nothing works. Not the end of the world but just another thing to tick off the list until they update it in 2012

2. alflavor macrumors regular

I get Siri telling me he doesn't know where I am, even though locations are turned on..

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You need to go into location services and turn it on for siri if you haven't already.

Really bad that business search doesnt work, pretty sure it doesn't say that on Apples site either.

I tried what you were saying OP, asking what the weather forecast is and it came back fine. That was on my dad's 4S last night, will try when I get mine delivered later.

4. YoungLew macrumors regular

Weather works fine for me, just a little pissed location based recommendations don't. Did we know it wouldn't work outside the US before 2012 before the phone was released yesterday?

5. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/features/siri.html

Very small grey text at the bottom of the page

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

7. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I asked 'find pizza hut' and it found my local pizza hut phone number in seconds. Haven't tried asking for directions etc yet though

8. Beasty macrumors newbie

I can't get Siri to do weather, or in fact - anything. I've had friends try, and the same.

I have a very generic English accent, I could appreciate it having issues with thicker regional dialects, but no joy for me. :(

I hope it is a software issue that can be updated!

9. alflavor macrumors regular

Location services re Siri and weather seem to be working now, although it doesn't understand my 'peterborough', though London and Derby are OK !

10. paulcdb macrumors regular

i really don't know why siri not being able to do businesses outside the US is such a surprise to so many people. Apple don't have the database for it and need to rely on others, like yelp and so they need to work with those companies not only to get permission but also make sure they can cope with the sudden demand of millions of iPhones hitting there DB.

as secretive as apple is, do you really think they wanted to be emailing 100s of companies all over the world about Siri?

also, as for the recognition problem... again, i'm sure as more people use it then it'll improve over time. I bet they've done tons of testing before release but there is no way, even with apples coughers that they can cover every variety of accent but since Siri is using Apples datacenters to process a lot of the stuff, I'd bet they have something in place where using that information Siri will become better overtime.

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

According to Apple:

"Maps and local search support will be available in additional countries in 2012."

12. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

To the OP, I have the same problem and I think its something to do with what your default location is set to. I thought it was the "local weather" in the weather app, but I've deleted that and got the same problem, Im thinking it set my location somewhere else too.

The reason being if I ask it what the weather is like in Wrexham, or if i'll need an umbrella in Chester on Thursday it works fine - its only if I don't specify a place (e.g., whats the weather like today, or is it going to be cold tonight) that it throws up the error...kind of showing its because it doesn't know where I am to check.

13. BigCol macrumors newbie

Each time I use siri to try and find something like a taxi or a fast food outlet, I get told "Sorry I can only look for businesses in the united states and only when you are using US English". Bit of a let down really. Will this issue be fixed in the next update??? Thanks in advance guys

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had a go on my mates 4S and asked Siri "what's the weather like today?" and it phoned his mate Phil. :confused:

I asked Phil but he didn't know either. :D

15. andyprit macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whenever I (in the UK) make any reference of weather (unless I give the location I'm referring to), it responds with ''I don't seen to be able to get wether information right now, please try again later'', hence, I don't use siri.

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Mine manages to supply the weather info every time.

17. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Works fine for me. Make sure you have location services on for Siri.