Siri is confused?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theheadguy, Dec 23, 2011.

1. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whether I say tomorrow or Saturday, it doesnt matter. It will only set up a reminder for Sunday. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. ecwhite4S, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

You're right.

However, you're not really saying it properly, this is how I say reminders. "Remind me on Saturday at 2pm to pick up Christmas cards, a vegetarian entree...." the day and time goes first. It doesn't make much sense to say it at the end. She's artificial intelligence, not a real human, so glitches like this will happen if you're not properly speaking to it. I think Siri should have came with a manual, I think some users need assistance using it.

3. theheadguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks, you're right. It is a glitch, but I could have used better grammar. I wish they focused on basic things like this more than funny replies to nonsense questions.

4. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Siri will be updated. And yeah, that's the problem with it. That's why I think a lot of people are saying that Siri doesn't ever work for them. Because they're not speaking with proper grammar. She's only going to understand in which the way she was programmed. I wish it's technology was that advanced.

5. matttye macrumors 601

Siri is advertised as a natural language voice assistant; having to say things in a particular order is not really any better than command based assistants.

Also, where did siri get Sunday from? It should just throw out an "I didn't catch that" error.

6. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I have no problems with Siri because I guess I naturally say things in the correct order. And I'm not really sure how you have to speak to her, but when I saw this thread, I tested the way I set reminders, and the way the OP did, and mine worked perfectly. The only time I ever have problems with Siri are in areas with loud background noise. Otherwise, she gets everything I say, sets every alarm, jots down every reminder, etc.

Like I said, I dont think the technology involved with it is THAT advanced where you can talk to her like a natural human. Any sort of "voice assistant" isn't going to fully replicate a real human. Especially in the first stage of it's existence on an iPhone. Would be nice, maybe someday?

7. matttye macrumors 601

I agree with what you're saying, I just think we should be expecting Siri to support more methods of asking the same things rather than changing the way we speak.

This will probably happen when it's out of beta :)

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

So only english majors will have the best Siri experience?

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It's also quite possible that because you are saying "christmas", it is assuming the date of the 25th.

10. FutureStan macrumors member

Yeah, yea, I know its still Beta. But I find this very strange lol

[​IMG]

11. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

That is probably why it's saying the 25th, because Christmas was mentioned, and because he didn't say the day and time before the reminder, so Siri probably just concluded that he wanted to be reminded on Christmas.

----------

Hopefully when it's out of beta, it'll be polished and more able to recognize many different ways of speaking, but I'm pretty now that's why people are having trouble with it, because not everyone speaks the same.

----------

Not really sure, but it's likely. Since Apple is in America, and Siri uses Apple servers, its possible that if you were in another country, it would give you problems.