Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I tell Siri, "My dad is ......" It goes "Do you want me to remember that .......... is your father" or whatever. I say yes... But then I go call my dad and it asks who my father is.

Anyone have this problem?

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
I believe I read somewhere else on here that if you are using certain exchanges that Siri can't name things other than Assistant or manager. If you use Outlook you can go in and give them a "nickname" like Wife Father ect and Siri will recognize that. Hope it helps

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Go to the Contacts application, go to yourself, and see if your relationship (Dad) is listed under there. If it isn't, click edit and add it manually and then see if Siri will remember that :).

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Siri is pretty forgetful, it even forgets who I am sometimes :(

I'm sure it's a bug that will be worked out eventually

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I've noticed Siri will be forgetful if you don't enter the relationship properly in Contacts. After its entered properly, it won't be forgetful.

However, I hope Siri will be able to edit Contact information so it can remember for itself.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
I had this once - it worked fine for a while then out of the blue, when I said 'phone my dad' or 'phone my gf' it said it didn't know who I was. Then, just as out-of-the-blue, it started working again.

jdr00ejr

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Thought I would chime in here. We use Exchange at work. Siri wouldn't remember any of my relationships and sometimes wouldn't remember what I told her to call me. Here's what I did...

1) Turn on iCloud Contacts - for point of reference - this is treated as another source - it does not sync your "Exchange" Contacts to the Cloud (a concern for some corporations).

2) To keep things simple for me going forward - I went into Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars - and made sure my default for new Contacts was still Exchange.

3) Go into Contacts - Change Group to iCloud - Create a Contact for yourself. Again to keep things simple for myself going forward - I also linked that Contact to the existing Exchange Contact for myself.

4) Go into Settings, General, Siri - tell it the "My Contact" is the iCloud Version of your Contact.

I've not had a single issue with Siri remembering me or my relationships since doing this.

Hope it helps!

clark85

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I've noticed Siri will be forgetful if you don't enter the relationship properly in Contacts. After its entered properly, it won't be forgetful.

However, I hope Siri will be able to edit Contact information so it can remember for itself.

I very much agree on that. It would be awesome if Siri gets updated and be able to manage some more phone function. Like you said, edit phone contacts and such.

Only problem is that you can use it before the screen unlock, which kind of kills the security it provides you, I guess you should just not lose your phone in the first place.

jayhtee

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Not only is Siri forgetful - I forget about Siri.

I can't say I;m that impressed overall as it gets my command wrong more than right. Maybe I have a strange accent or something.

I also forget it's even on my phone as there is no visual app to remind me... :rolleyes:

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
You have to say "Call my father", not "Call my dad". Siri works best when you talk to it with intellectual terms. Just a tip for you.

Also, it should remember everything the first time you tell it. That's what makes Siri stand out.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
[/COLOR]
Thought I would chime in here. We use Exchange at work. Siri wouldn't remember any of my relationships and sometimes wouldn't remember what I told her to call me. Here's what I did...

1) Turn on iCloud Contacts - for point of reference - this is treated as another source - it does not sync your "Exchange" Contacts to the Cloud (a concern for some corporations).

2) To keep things simple for me going forward - I went into Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars - and made sure my default for new Contacts was still Exchange.

3) Go into Contacts - Change Group to iCloud - Create a Contact for yourself. Again to keep things simple for myself going forward - I also linked that Contact to the existing Exchange Contact for myself.

4) Go into Settings, General, Siri - tell it the "My Contact" is the iCloud Version of your Contact.

I've not had a single issue with Siri remembering me or my relationships since doing this.

Hope it helps!
Aha, that did the trick. Perfect, thanks. Now it actually adds the relationship properly.

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Granted the relationships feature is more of a novelty than some parts of siri that I actually do use, but this fix does work perfectly. Thank you! I almost think this should be in some sticky faq or something

Thought I would chime in here. We use Exchange
at work. Siri wouldn't remember any of my relationships and sometimes wouldn't remember what I told her to call me. Here's what I did...

Hope it helps!

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I tell Siri, "My dad is ......" It goes "Do you want me to remember that .......... is your father" or whatever. I say yes... But then I go call my dad and it asks who my father is.

Anyone have this problem?

why not just put DAD as your number in your phone contracts? you really have your dads proper name in your phone?

drgreenberg

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010

Hope it helps!

This is definitely the best fix if your primary contacts sync source does not support the correct relationships (such as Google Sync via Exchange, which supports spouse, but no other family relationships). When using iCloud as a second contact-sync account, Siri stores all relationships in a parallel contact record there. iOS automatically links the primary and iCloud entries so that the merged contact card shows up when you call up the name in the contacts app (although you can use the Groups button to go back and only display your primary or iCloud accounts if you want to see them separated out).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.