Siri is just... so bad, im crying rn

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
The one time I need Siri on my Mac, and she can’t set a freaking timer. My mind is blown that a smart assistant cannot set a timer on a computer. I just can’t even express how dumb it is. She can’t perform basic tasks.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Weird right? You can do it on your phone with IOS, but Siri seems brain dead with MacOS. I believe it is because MacOS has no timer app for Siri to set, which is also a bit odd.

Reactions: raqball

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I’m surprised they didn’t build a timer right into Siri’s API.

Perhaps consider submitting a feedback form to apple asking for this feature. Maybe we’ll see it added in a feature update.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/
You would think. I guess Apple for some reason decided that nobody would ever want to set a timer or alarm on a laptop... or use a calculator on an iPad. Apple does as Apple does :)

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Weird right? You can do it on your phone with IOS, but Siri seems brain dead with MacOS. I believe it is because MacOS has no timer app for Siri to set, which is also a bit odd.
Siri is brain dead on everything... LOL..

I generally only use it for carplay navigation....

Reactions: SDColorado

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
we need to realize that siri only works with apple things, even disk repair is like that now, mine just repairs only itunes, safari issues.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
Siri seems brain dead in general. She'll go off on me at random times, even when things don't even sound remotely similar to "hey Siri". And then when I do say "hey Siri," she won't even activate. I told her to play something, and instead of pulling up the Music app and playing it, she pulled up the link to the wrong music or a youtube asking me to play it. Damn it, Siri, if I say play Salieri, don't play Mozart.

Reactions: Rivvvers

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am not sure why they moved this to the MacOS Mojave section, since it really has nothing to do with Mojave, but I guess they decided they had to put it under some MacOS section and Mojave is the most recent :)

@benthewraith I have the same issue with anything that sounds remotely similar to "Hey Siri," which is a problem when your wife's name is Sara. Siri responds equally to "Hey Sara" and then likes to remind me that she is still there if I don't follow up with something.

By contrast, Cortana at least seems to be a little brighter. Not a genius by any means, but slightly smarter. It probably helps that I don't know anyone with a similar name to Cortana. But Cortona has no problem setting a time or alarm. If I tell Siri "Hey Siri, play Spotify Music" Siri will respond with something like "I am sorry, I cannot find an app called "Play Spotify Music on your computer." If I ask Cortana "Hey Cortana, play Spotify Music" she responds "I'm on it. Resuming Spotify Music."

Of course, Cortana can't play music on iTunes, but that's OK. I gave up on iTunes ages ago.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I am not sure why they moved this to the MacOS Mojave section, since it really has nothing to do with Mojave, but I guess they decided they had to put it under some MacOS section and Mojave is the most recent :)

@benthewraith I have the same issue with anything that sounds remotely similar to "Hey Siri," which is a problem when your wife's name is Sara. Siri responds equally to "Hey Sara" and then likes to remind me that she is still there if I don't follow up with something.
One should consider this before getting married. Where were your thoughts at that crucial moment that you did not took Siri in account?
Another possibility, now that it's too late for you, is to change the name of your wife accordingly or simply call her Darling, Honey or similar nice word. ;)
Ed

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I'll add another complaint with Siri on desktop. On iOS Siri knows about my family. I can say "FaceTime my sister" or "FaceTime mom" and Siri does it no problem. If I say the same on desktop she has absolutely no idea what to do and I instead always have to say their actual names. The relationship info shows up the same in my own contact card in both iOS and macOS so it has access to the same information on both.

Reactions: AngerDanger

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
One should consider this before getting married. Where were your thoughts at that crucial moment that you did not took Siri in account?
Another possibility, now that it's too late for you, is to change the name of your wife accordingly or simply call her Darling, Honey or similar nice word. ;)
Ed
We were married in 2000 and Siri wasn't born until 2010 and "Hey Siri" in 2014, so it definitely wasn't a part of the marriage considerations :)

I can't convince Siri to change her name. I tried. She is very insistent that everyone else calls her Siri. So I may have to go with plan B :)

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
We were married in 2000 and Siri wasn't born until 2010 and "Hey Siri" in 2014, so it definitely wasn't a part of the marriage considerations :)

I can't convince Siri to change her name. I tried. She is very insistent that everyone else calls her Siri. So I may have to go with plan B :)
am not suggesting anything specific, but... if it came down to choosing between my GF and my mac, well...............

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
And yet, they want us to believe that self-driving cars are just around the corner..
I'm not setting my foot in it.
They might actually be around the corner but... in many pieces spread all over the street, while the people which were using those cars are either in hospital or in a cemetery.
So they tell the truth, only without giving too many unnecessary details to the prospective buyer of such cars. :rolleyes:
Ed

Last edited:

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
I regularly open a folder called "Consulting." I asked Siri on Mac to open it, and she can't find it.

Not to mention that it's 10x faster to just use Spotlight or Alfred to open folders; if Siri can't even find a folder after her 12-second search then she's pointless. She is now disabled.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2016
Canada
I'll add another complaint with Siri on desktop. On iOS Siri knows about my family. I can say "FaceTime my sister" or "FaceTime mom" and Siri does it no problem. If I say the same on desktop she has absolutely no idea what to do and I instead always have to say their actual names. The relationship info shows up the same in my own contact card in both iOS and macOS so it has access to the same information on both.
Aren't you supposed to say
Thunder...! Thunder...!! Thunder...!!! ThunderCats!!!!! HO!!!!!