Siri not working now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kristilk19, Oct 14, 2011.

1. kristilk19 macrumors newbie

Siri was working earlier, but it isn't now. She's saying she's having trouble connecting to the network but I am connected to wireless. I've restarted my phone and same thing. Anyone else having these issues?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There are about a million other people all activating their phones and playing with Siri...

3. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Yea a lot of people are, there's multiple threads on it, it will be find the servers are just getting hammered.

4. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Mine just started acting up. It's not recognizing ANYTHING I'm saying and is also cutting me off sometimes.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I had an issue this afternoon, I just reboot the phone and it worked again.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

After a busy launch day she's taking the weekend off.

7. kristilk19 thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked earlier in the day while I was at work but not now since I synced to my itunes and set up the icloud.

Oh well, guess I will wait it out. Was just curious if anyone else was having issues.

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

this bodes poorly for "the cloud".

and who thought it was smart to link the entire functionality of Siri with the network?

For looking stuff up sure, but calling an internal contact?

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Yeah, not working well at all. barely recognizes what I say, doesn't remember anything (I.E text wife....tell it who my wife is and they next time I say text my wife it asks again who my wife is)...well if I can get it to connect.

10. quaxon macrumors member

I was under the impression that siri ran natively for most things and didnt need a connection, this is disappointing as it means it will be pretty much useless when you have no service or travel out of country and don't wanna rack up hefty roaming fines.

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I think the voice recognition is all done server side.

I am not terribly surprised they're having some launch day glitches. I think the phone launch was on the very high end of their expectations. It will probably take them a bit to get capacity in place.

Of course we're in an unusual usage pattern today -- as everyone is hammering Siri at the same time.

Apple is earning their stripes on the cloud battlefield today.

12. tinycg macrumors member

Having same issue

Having the same issue and glad to know its not just me, I finally got the phone activated and wanted to talk to Siri but alas, she keeps saying something went wrong, or she can't connect to the network both on 3g and wifi, and restarting, so it makes sense the issue is on their end.

Still a pain though as I thought some processing was done phone side which is why they said they needed the A5.. if its just recording audio and sending it to the cloud for processing, why can't the iphone4 A4 or even the 3gs handle that to??

13. shadrap macrumors 6502

Apple should have prepared their servers for this. Many people, like me, was trying to show off Siri and then it won't work. Kinda takes the magic out of it.

14. berlyjen macrumors newbie

berlyjen

I just met her this morning and now I feel like I can't live without her.:)

15. Rootwitch macrumors newbie

Imagine the server farms needed to accommodate all those extra users... Heck, they've only allowed the 4s and already we've crashed their Siri servers.

I too cannot get Siri to respond. Worked fine all day until about an hr ago. She won't even answer "what's 2+2"..... And I REALLY need to know the answer....! :mad:

16. dawgfang macrumors member

4... I think.

17. KatanaAzul macrumors member

I wonder if it's down for everybody? I just got my phone activated about two hours ago and of course the first thing I tried was Siri, with no success. Hopefully it gets fixed sometime soon.

18. Rootwitch macrumors newbie

I suspect it is. I asked a buddy. No go for him either. It's now been a couple hrs. Still nothing. Would have thought something would have come up by now. Can't say I'm shocked, however, this is another black eye on an Apple launch. First AnttenaGate, now SiriGate...

19. Keebs macrumors newbie

I disabled siri, then re enabled it. That seemed to help. I did it a couple of times before it worked right again.

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Ha ha, hardly "SiriGate", everyone is testing her out right now, if she does have to tap into a server, it's not surprising. It'll level off once everyone stops trying to figure out everything she can say. It's really just common sense.

21. MattLafferty macrumors member

MattLafferty

Glad to hear it's a common problem, and not a broken phone!

22. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

23. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

I told her I was tired. She told me I shouldn't be driving. How did she know I was driving? :eek: Siri is working perfect for me. :)

24. waddlequack macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Siri is dead to me!

25. MattLafferty macrumors member

MattLafferty

Worked for me; now she's running like a charm!