Siri on or off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Nov 17, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

right now i don't use siri at all. i've had every iphone at one time and never have i had a "personal assistant" so i suppose i'm just used to doing things the hard way. sure i would use voice control but i couldn't turn it off so why not use it

my question is does having siri on use up any more CPU? having her waiting in the wings for when you might pull her up. if the answer is yes i'll leave her off. if the answer is no i'll probably turn her back on for hands free calling and such.

thanks in advance to those who are helpful. to those who aren't get a life. you should not be trolling the internet at 5:30 in the morning.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I don't think it matters. Use it if you want it. Why not take advantage of a feature for 4S...

PS Different people, different time zones. :rolleyes:

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Was Doubtful At First

And TBH thought siri was going to be a bit of a gimmick. I was wrong. Even though we don't yet have full function here in the UK, I use siri to text, email dictate appointments etc, and find it very useful.

Give it a shot....You do feel a little dumb talking to your phone, but after a while it's fun....AND useful.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes this is true. but i wouldn't consider your response trolling. it was honest and conveyed your opinion. trolling would be "why don't you ask siri if she takes more CPU" or something like that

does anyone use raise to speak? i saw on ifixit that the way it works is every time you activate the screen there is an IR proximity sensor that is active. wonder if that would affect battery at all

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I have Siri on. From my use I don't think he (in uk and want the women) uses any more battery when doing nothing.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Me Too

I would have preferred the girls voice too...I wonder why we got a guy?

7. psonice macrumors 6502a

Siri is only active when you call it up, so it doesn't use any CPU time. (If it was, I'd be pretty scared... because it would mean it's listening to everything you say, following every move... and planning.)

I find it useful for setting timers, alarms (still hoping for "don't wake me up tomorrow" one day), reminders, appointments and such.

8. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

the only thing i would really use it for is making calls and dictating texts. but then again i haven't really tried using many features because when i'm walking down the street and think oh i need to call my mom later i don't start talking to my phone. i just open the app. lol.

i stopped using reminders and notes because i didn't use siri. but i think i will have to start using them again.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You can have Siri on with raise to speak off.

10. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea i turned it off. just wondering what other people do

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I do the same.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They though they were getting a lady - here's the voice talent that showed up:

[​IMG]

:D