Siri really that good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jedi5, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Saw this Siri commercial last night was blown away. I know the commercial is old, but it was the first time I've seen it.

I've read about siri and all it can do. When I come here though, I read more complaints about siri than positives.

So, is siri really that good? Seems like something out of a scifi movie.

2. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Siri really is that good. And the thing to remember is that it's technically still in beta so it's only going to get better and better over the coming months. I was very intrigued when the 4s first came out because everyone was focusing more on the human aspect of it ..... just look at the siri easter eggs thread here. At first, everyone wants to impress their friends with "doesn't it have a personality?" type of siri commands, but I've found after I got past that part it is very useful. For example yesterday when I was out, all I had to do was raise the phone to my ear (from the lock screen) and say "remind me when an hour and 45 minutes is up" so I wouldn't get a parking ticket. And I also use it now for responding to text messages. I was never too crazy about typing on my iphone anyway. It's also great to a quick weather check in another city .... so many little things that used to take 3 or 4 steps to complete are now a sentence away.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And if you think about, all modern technology seems like stuff from sci-fi movies!

4. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

It's pretty good, but you may find you NEVER use it except when driving. You'll get past the honeymoon phase

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

6. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

There's a nice middle spot between the honeymoon phase and driving. It really all depends on the person and how much they rely on their phone for info. If you really use your phone for all of the things it's capable of doing, siri is a very welcome addition.

7. cvam1985 macrumors regular

I think it's pretty neat and surprisingly accurate at times (surprisingly not at others)

What I hate is that it takes so long to process requests sometimes, I find it would be quicker to do it manually.

I do think it's really, really great for disabled folks though. Seen that Apple commercial where the blind chick gets and replies to a text? Pretty nice.

8. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

I love SIRI at the beginning .. but the additional power consumption is really an issue

9. Montanan macrumors member

I kind of figured that Siri would just end up being a gimmick ... but I'm actually using it a lot, and liking it a lot. I seriously think it marks the beginning of a major transformation in personal tech.

10. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, it really is that good. I use Siri countless times daily. It's also extremely convenient when diving; I have a bluetooth headset that I use when in the car and when I get a text, I can have Siri read and reply to it.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Siri means I can use many functions of my phone while wearing gloves. Definitely a step in the right direction.

12. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I use it for everything

Even calling people, that may seem lazy but it's faster.

I even use it when I'm out and about, just not in people's faces because I don't want people to hear the contents of my reminders and messages.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I love Siri usage. Way more than a gimmick. It's an available tool that owners choose to either use or not, so mileage will vary.

I used it today while in the car to get the ph# to a location. Without it, I'd use my GPS app. Siri is much faster and not only will bring up the store, but map it, offer me to create a new contact in my addy book, etc....fantastic time saver.

14. pflau macrumors 6502

It's really that good. No more fiddling with the phone trying to set alarm or looking for a song to play.

15. Ktdhc macrumors member

Siri isn't really practical at the moment. Just a gimmick.

You can read and reply text in the car, oh noes! Can't wait 5 minutes to get home to reply because you're that important right? If it's something important, you can just make a call as people have been doing for a while now.

But in the future if Siri becomes mostly client-side and is listening to your voice in the background (like a real assistant), then it might be a different story. It takes too much time (yes 2-3 seconds is a lot in this case) to do anything at the moment with sending the data and receiving your information.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Mine might be retarded then. There have been plenty of times I told it to "Send Jenelle a text message" and it comes back with I've set your reminder.

17. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I think Siri is great. I use it while driving, walking to class, getting dressed, rembering ideas or quick notes, finding quick facts, etc. I use it to play/shuffle an existing playlist or my song library, set my alarms, and read/respond to my texts when I want to be hands free. I can't wait for more developments!

18. djuzi05 macrumors regular

I think Siri is super practical, yes even outside of a car

For example, the other day I'm mixing hamburger meat for dinner and my wife texts me. Instead of cleaning up my hands to respond, I activate Siri using my pinky knuckle. I tell her to read my text, I reply. We send about 5 texts back and forth pressing nothing more than the home button :cool:

This morning, my alarm goes off and I'm tired as heck. I activate Siri with my eyes still closed and ask to set an an alarm in an hour and boom back to bed :cool:

Reminders, calendars are all much faster using Siri. I think i've written only 20% of my texts since getting the 4s with Siri handling the rest.

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

siri is great when she works and just wastes time when she does not. She can get the contact name right and still not be able to use it. she can get it right once then never again. if it is noisy she does not work. I want to use her more but sometimes it ends up taking way more time.

20. mac jones macrumors 68040

I don't have the 4s (yet) so , yes i'm pretty stupid commenting.

But there's something that interests me.

Often when i'm on the road, if a 'predicament' occurs; being lost most likely, or trying to contact someone, it's often so stressful that using the iPad, iPhone, or laptop (something you do these days) to assist you doesn't always go smoothly. Sometimes my mind sort of shuts down out of frustration. This is where I would need something like Siri. Kind of an idiot's helper.

It really is going to take a LOT of field testing for me to be sold. But this is where Apple seems to shine; they field test stuff like crazy it seems.

We shall see.

21. ninerfan macrumors regular

She's my new BFF lol. Yes, she really is that great and will continue to get even better, I believe.

22. andyx3x macrumors 65816