Siri restricted to 4s only is a prime example of why closed OS< Open OS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realitycheck69, Oct 10, 2011.

1. realitycheck69 macrumors member

No reason why Siri wouldn't run on iphone 4, yet Apple will force you to upgrade for that feature. Pretty lame.

2. DarkJello macrumors member

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Are you sure there is no reason? Are you sure it would run with the same fluidity? I don't know but I can see it being a combo of wanting a specific level of performance as well as wanting to entice those to upgrade

4. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

Hint: the OS with the largest marketshare.

5. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Well, no one knows if that's true or not. Yet you post it as a fact.

If it's true, it will be no different than when Apple restricted shooting video to the 3GS, when the 3G's hardware was technically capable.

Apple assembles an experience. So far, it's worked just fine for them and for me as a consumer.

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Oh cool. Do me a favor and link to Honeycomb's source code, I've been meaning to take a look at that!

7. Millionin20s macrumors regular

Hey look, you found a unique way to bring up Android versus iOS.
    Have fun with the deaf ears and downvotes.
    I'm just saying, you're not going to find much support for the merits of Android or any other mobile OS on MacRumors.

8. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

I am sure. App was available until 4s released. 4s and 4 have same amount of RAM (512mb).

Just think of the outrage if someone had to buy a whole new computer when a new version of some software came out just because the parent company locked it down.

9. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

Windows 7 Mobile?

10. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

Hint: Honeycomb has a low marketshare.

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

What's your point? If you don't like Apple's closed OS, switch to the OS with the largest market share. Problem solved.

12. DarkJello macrumors member

android isn't open

Very frequently you can't even update to the latest version. It isn't open.

Yea you can root and whatever... but you can just jailbreak your iphone...

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

While there was the app, are you sure it is the exact same? It seems like it has been totally integrated into the OS with iOS5. Perhaps it needs the cpu?

I get what you are saying though.

14. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Hint: Honeycomb is still the latest available version of Android. And it's closed.

15. djuzi05, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

djuzi05 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

How many Android users whine when they can't update to the newest OS or when they're phones aren't compatible with the newest OS. Everyone and their mommas are rooting their Droids just to have a ROM the latest OS Google puts out.

16. DarkJello macrumors member

I get what he's saying too, but I also think he's a major troll

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, it's a real shame that Apple considers all factors first before applying features, instead of doing what Android manufacturers do and just try to jam every conceivable feature into a device whether it's ready or not, whether it works well or not, whether it makes sense or not. What a bunch of morons over there at Apple.

18. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

He's just giving his opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

If his opinion was the opposite, and he was saying closed OS > Open OS and Siri was awesome, you'd probably have no problem with him at all...

19. rebolledo macrumors newbie

Wow so defensive comments here. I don't know if the OP tried to start an iOS/Android flame war but still he makes a point: there is no Siri for iPhone 4 because, this time, Apple played the closed OS card (my OS, my rules). What's this "if you don't like it, buy Android" nonsense? Can't we love Apple products and criticize them when we feel they're being greedy or somehow abusive?

20. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I should have known this would be another newbie post. Well since I'm here...

It's only lame for you. Advance or be left behind. It's the way of technology.

21. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Android is doing the same thing, except with whole versions of the OS, let alone a feature or two. They get cut off after an update or two and are forced to upgrade if they want the latest version of the OS.

It may be less subtle than what Apple is doing with Siri, but no one is innocent here. In time, Microsoft will do the same with Win Phone 7.

Don't kid yourself. It is business, and they all do it. You would too if you were at the helm.

Edit: I don't like it anymore than you do and am not defending Apple so much as I am saying that if the intent is to say that Android doesn't pull the same crap, you're dead wrong. *Looks at his original Moto Droid*

22. iTouchIt macrumors regular

So you are talking iOS.

GG's...

23. DarkJello macrumors member

I did lead on to bring android into the discussion, but that's what he was getting at from his reply.

I would prefer if the OS was open, but you pretty much get that from jailbraking, and if you really need and want an open os for whatever reason, then you are probably capable of jailbreaking your device.

I have a droid 2 and it sucks because you can't run the latest android, at least with iOS you get the new os for a few generations, even if you don't get all the features.

24. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

How else would you market a phone that is almost the same as the iphone 4? It is a very good call on apples part. I don't know why everyone is complaining..oh wait I know why, its because everyone wants everything for free. I am not even going to go into the android debate. Also, someone tell me if apple ever said it was an open OS? I really don't know.

25. djuzi05 macrumors regular

What's exactly wrong with a company legitimately buying a product and doing what they want with it? They're making it available, it's just tied into their newest product. That's business.

[​IMG]