Siri security flaw?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R0b, Sep 9, 2012.

1. R0b macrumors member

im just wondering if you guy and girls have the same problem as me. i noticed that even though my iPhone is passcode protected, i ask Siri a simple question like 'who am i?' or one of my contacts details and she answers back with all of my personal details such as my street address, email and other personal information from contacts. isn't that a security flaw?

i understand that you can toggle on or off the settings via passcode lock. but i guess most people got it turned on. at least she should answer back saying that the phone needs to be unlocked in order to access the information. what do you guys think?

understand that i am not accusing apple of anything. all i'm trying to get across is that it might be a security flaw that may have been accidentally overlooked by apple.

2. noteple macrumors 65816

Siri can be set so that it cannot be used without a passcode unlock.

If you dont set it that way your phone is wide open through Siri commands.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

So it's a configurable feature but you're calling it a security flaw?

That's like saying my house isn't safe b/c I could forget to lock the front door. Just doesn't make sense.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

who are you replying to? the OP clearly didn't realize there was a setting.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Replying to the OP, obviously.

He said, "i understand that you can toggle on or off the settings via passcode lock. but i guess most people got it turned on. at least she should answer back saying that the phone needs to be unlocked in order to access the information. what do you guys think?"

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Someone finds a phone in the street and wants to return it to it's owner. They hold the home button, ask Siri "who am I?," "call wife/ mom/ husband/ dad," and Siri directs them to the proper person.

They still won't have access to the phone itself or any other personal details, but WILL be able to return the phone to it's owner.

Sure, an unscrupulous person could do the same, but knowing who's phone it is (or even where they lived) wouldn't do them much good.

Besides, as others have said, it can be turned off.

7. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Where?? :confused:
    I looked under setting > general > siri doesn't say anything about a passcode.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Try under Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock -> Siri

9. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

I would say its a bit of an unintentional flaw. Just to clarify and point out, the only option we have is whether Siri is accessible when passcode locked or not.

When it is accessible, Siri will show your contact info, which includes phone numbers, email, addy, etc. This is the extent to which it'll go without the passcode. The only exception is, it will call out you phone number which means it'll give someone access to your voicemail granted they'll need your voicemail password.

10. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Ah, got it. Silly me. Don't why I didn't think of that.
    Thanks!

11. t47 macrumors newbie

Seems that it gives out anyone's contact info from my address book, at least on my iPhone 5. It would be a great feature to have it only reveal the owner's contact info and, say, an emergency contact or two.

don't like that it's either wide open or completely shut.