Siri should launch with touch ID...idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chraos, Sep 24, 2013.

1. chraos macrumors member

When the iPhone 5S is unlocked, the touch Id sensor really should be able og launch Siri if u rest your thumb on the steel ring for the same time you would hold the button done to initiate Siri the way it currently is. It just seems like a no brainer. The steel rings purpose is to detect skin contact, the id scanner doesn't even need to be used for this function....similarly, double tapping the steel ring should launch multitasking....hopefully a future .x upgrade will implement this....I am worried about the home button breaking considering its serves so many functions and now contains very expensive hardware within.....I'm wondering how well the home button will hold up on the 5S...I know it's sapphires covered but I'm more worried about the actual clicking mechanism than the button itself

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Basically you are saying you wish the home button didn't click... but instead was simply capacitive and reacted to a simple touch (instead of clicks).

3. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

This would be nice I hope someday apple make the home button like that :rolleyes:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I rest my thumb on my home button, so no I don't want it to activate Siri.

5. chraos thread starter macrumors member

Not exactly...I'm fine with having to click the home button to wake up the phone, to exit an app and return to to the home screen...I'm just suggesting that it should work like a capacitive button when invoking Siri, but I now realize that people rest their thumb on the home button so this would likely piss some people off...still, with the steel ring being capable of sensing skin contact, it makes sense for apple to create an optional toggle in settings which allows this function....imagine the number of clicks that can be saved for people that don't rest their thumbs on the home button....I'm not suggesting the button should work as a capacitive button to wake up the phone or exit an app...just in instances where long pressing or double clicking is required where the screen is already on...again I say this because I am worried how well the home button will hold up...the 5 had a more robust home button mechanism to ameliorate the broken home button issues of previous iPhones, but the 5S concerns me given that the touch Id hardware is built in.

6. chraos thread starter macrumors member

I guess it made sense to rest your thumb on the home button when reading something for previous models where the home button was concave..but how difficult would it be to rest it a few millimeters to left or right? What I am proposing would give the user a toggle to turn off this feature. I don't want an entirely capacitive home button but I would like to see the skin sensing ring of the touch ID sensor utilized in the ways I mentioned.