Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a Canadian iPhone 4S and I'm using it in Hong Kong. I'm having no problems with Siri other than when I'm asking it 'what's the weather like'/'is it going to rain today'/'does it look like snow today'/etc.- I always get a response along the lines of "Sorry <name>, something's wrong."

I have no problems if I add 'in Hong Kong' to the end of each question though. I've tried turning the 'local weather' option on and off and it makes no difference.

Anyone know what's wrong? Or is this just another one of those Siri bugs?

Thanks.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

assfeis said:
Anyone know what's wrong? Or is this just another one of those Siri bugs?

Thanks.
Sorry TheMacBookPro, something's wrong.

Ha :)

mpossoff said:
I've been getting...

Sorry NAME, there's something wrong. Can you try again?'

Edit: I rebooted and Siri works now.

We're you having issues with asking it weather based data without specifying the location?

I've tried rebooting and disabling Siri and it didn't fix it. Everything else works though, which is odd.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2008

Double post. Multi-quote is really needed in the mobile page...

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Location based services are not supported on Siri outside of the US yet. Even here in London I have to put the location name at the end of questions like that. If I don't I get the same kind of response. Typically when you ask that question without mentioning the location name Siri will use location services to determine where you are if you're in the US. Outside the US it can't do that so you have to tell it which location you're asking about.

evilblob

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011

Seconding the location based services not being outside the US yet. I just get told there no weather information for Melbourne. (Australia)

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Location based services are not supported on Siri outside of the US yet. Even here in London I have to put the location name at the end of questions like that. If I don't I get the same kind of response. Typically when you ask that question without mentioning the location name Siri will use location services to determine where you are if you're in the US. Outside the US it can't do that so you have to tell it which location you're asking about.

Seconding the location based services not being outside the US yet. I just get told there no weather information for Melbourne. (Australia)

Oh. That makes sense, I guess... it's a bit odd that it can tell me the weather for international locations if I specify the city, but can't tell me the local weather (even though the Weather app has no problem determining my current location).

The 'Sorry, something's wrong' message made me think that it was a device issue, rather than a location issue, since location issues are indicated by 'Sorry, I can't search for <item> in <your city>' (e.g. 'Sorry John, I can't look for restaurants in Madrid.')

Have you guys had any luck with asking Siri about the time? I've tried asking it 'What time is it' and it answers 'I have no idea what time it is in <the street I'm currently on>. Sorry about that.' Sometimes the last bit is 'How silly is that?'. Replace 'time' with 'date' and you get the same results.

Strange how it tells me it the street name, rather than the district and/or city. Is this just another international Siri quirk? The old voice control could tell me the time just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.