Siri useless

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodayoda, Jan 7, 2012.

1. yodayoda macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2011
    I've had the iPhone 4S since launch date. Anyone else agree Siri is useless. To me, it takes more effort to talk into the phone and speak a command then to actually do the task manually (i.e. look for the weather, schedule an appt, write a text) - Siri is the new Facetime
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Perhaps useless for you, but not me
    I find it helpful in many different situations, such as while driving in traffic

Everyone is different, and how we use technology is not cookie cutter
    Some features I use, others don't
    Some things others use, I don't

BTW, I use Facetime too
  3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    my sister and I FaceTime all the time. Siri is relevant as a base to which apple can add more functionality and commands over time. I have an iPhone 4, and even though I don't feel i need it, I can't sell Siri's relevance short.
  4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

Jun 11, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I find it very useful
    Oh, I also use FaceTime daily Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #8
  5. jamaggic macrumors member

Feb 12, 2009
    SC, thank God
    love Siri but the new frustration is when she is not available,,, whatever mainframe they have Siri on needs to double and then double again...
  6. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    The only thing I tell Siri is to turn off all of my alarms, or turn them all off.

Otherwise, I don't really like using it.
  7. 3bs macrumors 603

May 20, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    All off or all off? :p
    And yeah I use it for that and if I wanna know the time and my hands are in my pockets and I can't be bothered to take my phone out.

But I kinda agree, for now it's not that useful and it's annoying that it doesn't hear me or understand me all the time.
  8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    My wife uses Siri on her 4s and seems to enjoy it.
  9. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    Hehe :D:D;)
  10. Scartissue macrumors member

Dec 23, 2004
    There are a few tasks, normally ones with more steps, that I find useful with Siri.

I think it takes less time to say "Schedule a two hour meeting tomorrow starting at 7am" or whatever than creating that in the app. Easier still to do it on the desktop though.

Reminders are maybe the other one, since you can throw them in different lists more easily

There's probably lots of stuff relevant to people who drive more frequently than I do.
  11. vitzr macrumors 68030

Jul 28, 2011
    Siri's been a great way to draw people's attention to Apple. So it's been a huge success. I've even seen posts here that say "I Love Siri".

That one made me nauseated.
  12. Surrylic macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
    I agree it's not as useful as Apple tries to make it out to be, but I would use it a lot if I had it. My drive to work is an hour and fifteen minutes, slightly longer to get home, and about 40% is with traffic. Texting would be way easier with Siri for me. Making phone calls too, because my car isn't as smart as Siri and just doesn't understand peoples names correctly too often...
  13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

Oct 14, 2007
    I'm kinda sitting on the fence with Siri waiting for it to come out of beta and improved use outside of the USA.

I've used a friends handset and for now this feature, camera improvement and processor don't make me wanna pay out to Sim Free upgrade from my 4 to a 4s.

I concur it comes into its element for drivers.
    I use public transport.

Maybe my opinion would differ if I was moving from a 3GS to the 4s !
  14. sviato macrumors 68020

Oct 27, 2010
    HR 9038 A
    I too only use it for alarms. Sometimes ask it to dial people.

I find that unless I'm using it in my house, any outside noise distorts the voice recognition and Siri can't do anything.
  15. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2011
    I don't use Siri for much unless I'm multi-tasking. IE when I get up in the morning and I'm going through my hygiene routines, I ask Siri the weather, when it pulls it up I look. Siri helps with those sorts of situations, but I really haven't found much else I can use it for.
  16. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2005
    I loved FaceTime as it saved me a lot on international calls and is easier to access than Skype.

Siri, I use to turn on alarm, check weather, calculate tip, call people or send simple text message which phone is in pocket or when I'm driving, and sometimes use the text to speech to reply text messages as it work pretty well and doesn't require me to work up my fingers. I found myself to use Siri more often when I have my bluetooth headphone on and the phone in pocket.

I agree with Apple that Siri is still a beta software. I feel it can do a lot more than the features that are currently offered. They are promising to add more languages and features this year, so I'm waiting to see what improvements they can bring to Siri.:)
  17. Stella, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

Stella macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    Personally, I find Siri useful for example dictation. Some tasks are quicker with Siri but others are not. The main issue with Siri in my opinion at the moment is the reliability ( less commonly used words and their context, I.e read,red / for, four - that is going to be difficult to solve ) and functionality outside of the USA.

I am looking forward to more integration in the iPhone for example to turn on / off Bluetooth etc. Integration with other applications would be great, and I don't think it would be that difficult - its just another interface - Apple can parse a voice command and invoke the appropriate API command.

BT headsets need to get better - the quality I find isn't good enough and with awkward integration - ie., having to press down a button for a couple seconds... I'm sure we'll see better integration soon ( I have a Jawbone ).

I have just dictated this entire message using Siri, it was far quicker than typing on an iPhone ( I have edited twice on the keyboard since :- ) )
  18. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2009
    It was cool for about an hour after I got it,but now I barely use it. The only thing it's good for is texting while driving. Unfortunately sending long emails doesn't work because Siri screws up the punctuation a lot.
  19. tekno macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2011
    I do agree - Siri is useless. I've turned mine off.

I thought it'd be useful in the car, but with all the road/car noise, Siri simply can't understand and so it just doesn't work.
  20. PNutts macrumors 601

Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
    As MacDawg mentioned, it's useful in a car. Our state upped it's distracted driving fines so having an (almost) handsfree is great. The other night my Time Capsule started having problems so I needed a new one pronto. I called and found one at a Best Buy I'd never been to before. Time was short so while I was on the way I asked Siri, "How to I get to Best Buy in Greshem?". She popped up the map app with my route. Nice.

I doubt it will replace small things in a good environment. Muscle memory is hard to beat!
  21. tekno macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2011
    No it's not - read my post.
  22. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

Sep 8, 2010
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    It's not useful TO YOU. It's useful to MacDawg. And It's useful to me in the truck. Perhaps your vehicle doesn't have enough sound-deadening built in to cover road noise.

Siri's usefulness is totally subjective to the person using it. One cannot make a blanket statement and say that Siri is useless and expect everyone on the planet to agree and therefore think that Siri should never be used again.
  23. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2011
    Oh so your post is the definitive answer? <chuckle>

I find Siri very useful when driving and there is no issue understanding me.

As for you, get a better headset. If it is so bad that Siri can't understand you it must sound like crap for callers too.

24. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2011
    It works fine for me in e car. Perhaps you should try turning your radio to something less than eardrum shattering levels.
  25. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2005
    Agreed, mine works well in the car as well. I use a Bose Bluetooth Headset Series 2 since it's the most comfortable one for me. Sometimes, people just have to turn the radio down or off for a second before using Siri and it'll work pretty nicely. :)