Siri Users - Want to talk to your TV too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSMac, Nov 26, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Reading a few stories on how Apple
    is about to enter the TV market with a revolutionary design
    built around talking to the TV ... aka Siri.

Would you buy a new or replace your TV so you could talk to it?

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Since the :mad: remote keeps running away from me, I'll admit that a voice-controlled TV is not entirely out of the question.

I wouldn't throw out my existing fully functional TV for that single feature however, and there are quite a few potential problems with talking TV:s. We'll just have to wait and see.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Unless they found a way to make 50+ inch LCD LED tvs not suck, I'll be sticking to plasma.;)

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

As long as I don't have to raise to speak then it's a more than welcome feature :)

5. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Perhaps check out the 8000 and 9000 series samsung lcd's they are up there with the kuro's in quality. ESP the 9000 series.

6. Blakey. macrumors member

I just got the 4S yesterday, and while Siri seems pretty decent(I am actually fairly impressed that it can even recognize my speech when I quietly mumble to it), I just don't know that I would want it for a TV. That said, though, I'm sure Apple would have a nice solution for it that I've not yet thought of.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sure, as long as the tv itself was a good quality and the price is right.

Also I am looking forward to Siri on the Mac someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

8. Angryipadguy, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

Angryipadguy macrumors regular

They will do what they normally do and rebox a medium quality component and sell it at quality prices. It wouldn't surprise me if they used a brand like philips, sharp or sanyo. They clearly wouldn't touch samsung so they def wouldn't have a product as nice as they currently make. I doubt they would even touch Sony.

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Considering Siri doesn't understand me 80%+ of the time...
    So I could talk to it? Sure.
    So I could talk to it using an Apple voice recognition engine? Definitely not.

Hell, the voice recognition on my 2+ year old Motorola Droid understands me better than Siri.

10. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

The other thing I don't get is you can currently use your phone to control some tv's. I use my phone to control my samsung tv and Denon amp with multiple zones. I don't get what Siri would be able to do on a tv that one press of a button already does! I think it would be a bad move for apple. Apple tv was a flop and I think a tv would be also. It's not something you can take out and show off to people so 99% of current apple fanboys won't want one anyway.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What? No way.

First they cost much more than an equivalent plasma.

Second they crush blacks as no edge lit LCD can produce deep blacks without crushing them.

And thirdly they suffer something terrible with banding.

12. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Funny that because I own both the 8000 and a pannasonic plasma. Blacks are extremely close. You wouldnt be able to tell unless they were side by side. I would use plasma though out my house because of them being cheap as chips but seeings as they have limited areas they can be mounted LCD is then only way to go most of the time. Perhaps demo the samsungs before spouting lies.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have a Samsung 46" LED LCD and while I am told the plasma is superior, for me the LCD LCD gives a great picture.

I'm not sophisticated enough to know what "crushing" the blacks means. I find the blacks excellent, and I don't get "banding", whatever that means. I'm not sure where you are, but around here plasmas are more expensive than LED LCD's.

As is obvious, I am not a super-sophisticated videophile - just someone who watches a lot of HD movies on my TV. I'm sure the videophiles among you will appreciate the above quoted review. But for the simple folk among us - if my TV is "crushing" my blacks :confused: I haven't noticed. I just get a great picture on my TV. (The sound is another story and some form of external speakers are needed. As an non-audiophile - a Samsung Sound Bar with a wireless sub-woofer does the job for me.)

When ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise...:D:p

14. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

how is the apple tv a flop? the atv2 is somewhat popular.

15. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No, what if at night you wanna change channel or whatever in the bedroom when others sleep (daughter + gf), that's a no go.

I would preffer using the iPhone, because that you never loose and is always aware of where it is to use :)

I who am Swedish and talk Swedish 99.9% of the time, have no problem with Siri understanding me 80% of the time, so i'm guessing you have a very weird accent or something if it's that bad!!
    I mean, my english is far from perfect when i speak it, typing it is another thing though.

So i think you are full of BS.

16. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Well let's put it this way. I design and build home theaters and av centers as part of my trade In the Uk and US yet I have never come across or been asked to install an apple tv. I have never even seen one installed. I know one guy with one who is a friend of a friend and he loves it but he loves everything apple so it's a biased review yet even he change it to a boxxe box. The boxxe box I see everywhere. I own 3 my self and always get asked aout them when I'm out doing quotes.

17. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Born and raised in the midwest region of the USA. No accent whatsoever. You must be incredibly lucky because there are loads of documented complaints about Siri's inability to understand basic commands.
    I have documented specific examples of Siri's failures in this thread.

18. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

It's 50/50 with me and Siri but I'm from UK using US phone so I guess it can't make out some of my words. what's funny is my ford sync system has no problem with me but it has a setup feature where you say certain words and it learns from them. I was expecting to see a feature like this on Siri.

Saying that though it even has trouble with my wife who is from the US but she never uses it so it's not a big deal.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Siri talks back at me. I don't want my t.v. back talking me, too.

Besides, the plasma wouldn't be able to "hear" me over the loud hummm it makes. :(

20. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Then i find it very strange, i believe you! Sorry for the bs thing.

Maybe it's because i'm not used to talking english, it makes me pronounce the words "correctly" or whatever you can call it, you understand what i mean? That would make sense.. Because i can't talk like you guys, all chilled out and relaxed like i do in swedish, maybe that's why it works good for me?

21. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

So they might use the same low level components in their TV architecture, but I'm convinced they won't be entering the TV market unless they have something revolutionary to give to the market.

Samsung has never been able to make products that are anywhere near as nice as Apple products in terms of design, what makes you think Apple's TV won't be "as nice as" Samsung's current line-up?

22. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

what planet are you fanboys really on!

nah samsung dont make anything nice!!! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer. In markets that they are currently competing in, Samsung has never been able to match the sleekness of Apple's designs.

So the question remains, what makes you think that they can't beat them when it comes to designing a TV?

24. Angryipadguy, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

Angryipadguy macrumors regular

What samsung dont compette in the US. have you happend to notice how much bigger than Apple samsung is! :rolleyes: They are prob the number one TV brand currently and reviews rate them as some of the best TV's you can buy.

No Apple would not be able to compette. Most Apple owners are more about what their stuff looks like and how they look with it when they show it off. They are more concerned with looks. As you said in your above comment "Samsung has never been able to match the sleekness of Apple's designs" this proves my point. Plus if a Apple fanboy cant leave the house with said product so they can be seen with it ehn they wont buy it. Apple products are trinkets for most users. Apple know this and its the reason they design the phone the way they do.

also dont forget if they enter the market and try and get by on just making a good looking tv with low specs and charge high spec prices they have loewe, runco and bang and olufsen to compette with in them price brackets. They offer give you high end for high end prices.

25. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Apple don't currently make a TV, so they are not competing in this market against Samsung, anywhere in the world.

If Apple get into the TV market, they will compete, and I have no doubt that they'll do well in this market. There is no point arguing about it now though, since we don't even know yet if there will be a apple TV yet, nor what it will do or what it'll look like.

Most Apple owners care about ease of use, something that I believe can only be fully achieved through good design.