SIRI via handsfree in car bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thinkadam, Jan 24, 2012.

1. thinkadam macrumors regular

Hi all
    Is it possible to activate Siri from in car bluetooth without holding the home button?
    I have a talk and end and listen mode that connects to car.
    Wondering if any button can turn on siri.
    I have a lexus ct200 if that helps, no nav,

Side note...is it possible to transfer my address book to the car? anyone know?

thanks

2. TaterToT macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak your phone there is a tweak I believe called HandsFree Siri and it will let you activate Siri by simply saying "Siri" and then whatever you want it to do. No need to touch your phone.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Transferring your phone book should be possible on the iPhone end, it really depends on what the system in the Lexus supports. Many car systems support phone book transfer but if you change entries on your iPhone, do you want to do the entire transfer again? It's no big deal with a few hundred entries but if you have a few thousand entries, phone book transfer can take a while over bluetooth which isn't exactly known for speed.

As for activating Siri, I doubt it. The handsfree profile implemented in today's cars was agreed upon years before there was such a thing as an iPhone or Siri. The profiles contain provisions for phone book transfer, audio transfer, dial and so forth. Activating phone features is something that is probably not going to be there unless you have one of the newer systems that mirrors the phone's screen up on display in the car and you can interact with it from there. I seem to remember BMW bragging about such a feature a while back.

4. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I have a pioneer dehp710bt in my car and I can use Siri if I hold the home button down but not using the voice command button on the head unit.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

One of my vehicles (Mazda CX9) has a "headset voice command" button on the steering wheel, but it always invokes the Mazda voice command module and not Siri. But then, it controls a lot of other features so not sure I want it to either.

I've honestly not been using Siri all that much. Nice feature but just not a big deal to me.

6. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use a Motorola bluetooth adapter(guessing it's called something else for real) in my daily driver which a 2002 maxima SE. Which btw has no support whatsoever for Bluetooth. Anyhow, I set the radio station to whichever one the Bluetooth thing says and go from there. To get to the point I just have to hit the call button quickly and it brings up Siri. My wife's G37 has Bluetooth bit we don't drive it very often so I'm not to sure if you can activate Siri with it. I've only tried music.