siri vs google now (merged)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobenhaus, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bobenhaus, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Widashy macrumors regular

Widashy

Yeah I saw it. Pretty amazing seeing something finally beating Siri in it's game.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

While I would award Google with the win in that contest I find the reviewer himself to be annoyingly cheerleaderish.

I'd say "Google edges out Siri to take the Win."

He calls it a "Complete blowout."

Is this a video from Google or something? It would make more sense then, if it was actually marketing.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'd say you're reading a bit too much into it. He said the same thing about Siri being the winner over S-Voice.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm particularly talking about the part where the 2 timers get set at the same time* and he says "so that was almost exactly the same time but it looks like the Galaxy Nexus came through a little bit faster."

Ok, so they're almost exactly the same...but Google wins?

That's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about when Google actually wins. It totally blows Siri away with the weather request. Yes, he should say so in that case. But when they're the same he still gives Google the win. Like I said, Cheerleaderish.

* (And for the record, I've paused the video, Google was about 1/4 of a second faster setting the timer. If you're human I really don't think you can call that anything but exactly the same.)

6. matttye macrumors 601

That's because google search WAS faster in the timer comparison. It was only because of the way Siri responded though to be fair.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'll take it one step better. He's a moron that shouldn't be doing Tech reviews.

The goal of Siri isn't to deliver results with the ultimate in speed. It's to deliver the "correct" result even if people say things different way (Semantics).

Siri is design to understand context but that never gets tested because in the demos people ask rather static questions and never follow up like a real human would. For instance

"How many points did Koby Bryant score in his last game?" answer is provided "what is his top scoring game?"

Humans interact in a series of questions that remain in context and often stray in context. One question/answer session could lead to another question or even something totally random.

Is it too much to ask people to demo the technology in way that mimics how people actually query?

How many of us robotically ask a single question and wait for a single answer?

I don't fault this guy for being a cheerleader I fault him for running a subpar benchmark.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Even though I only own apple devices, it pleased me to see them lose for once. Of course the .2 second difference isn't going to make me go buy a droid, but it seems other companies are finally beginning to catch up.

In siri's defense, I would bet there are quite a few less people using google search than Siri, which pretty much makes all the difference.

9. nfl46, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

nfl46 macrumors 603

I never liked Siri. I always disabled it since I got my 4S back in October.

1) Google Voice
    2) Siri
    3) S-Voice (a distant 3rd place)

10. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Cant wait for this feature. I never asked Siri to do anything web related because she's no good at it. This looks very promising

11. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Siri vs. Google Voice Jelly Bean (video)(both are in beta)

12. matttye macrumors 601

There's a few other videos too.

Voice search smashes Siri IMO!

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

14. Gilj macrumors member

Google Search - 17+- users.
    Siri - 1,000,000+ users.

15. matttye macrumors 601

If you're talking about the speed of the two, then perhaps you can explain why google voice search shown in the keynote is faster than Siri shown in the keynote (when it too had hardly any users) ?

16. Sangdushi macrumors regular

google voice might be faster but siri looks nicer

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I want to see a video of them talking to each other!

18. matttye macrumors 601

Agreed.

Ultimately I care more about the speed though.

19. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Oh and I'd like to mention that I personally don't care cause I'm still weirded out by talking to my cell phone. </luddite>

20. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Did you read the comments under the video?

Why do they call people Apple fanboys when they are way worse?
    It's like:
    Apple user: Oh, I am glad to see that Siri has competition.
    Android user: LOOL, SIRI IS DEFEATED, PROBLEM FANBOYS?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Both are pretty nice. Seems like Siri always pops out more visible information though which might explain the millisecond delay vs Google voice. Wasn't to pleased with Google voice when setting reminders/alarms and stopping at the menu. They need to fix that. Google voice does sound much more natural, but Siri has more natural responses.

I'll give it a tie based on the video only.

22. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I know right? I live and breathe Apple products. They are the leader in this world. I do not even celebrate Christianity anymore, I worship in Apple. Apple iProducts are the best and everyone knows it. Everyone knows iOS is the best mobile operating system out there today. It is fluid. Andriod is very laggy and is full of viruses. iOS never have these problems. Also, Apple rolls out updates to everybody unlike Android.

All in all, Apple > Google and everybody else. Nobody is the king except Apple. This world would be highly dysfunctional had Apple never been invented.

Google is terrible. I can't wait for iOS 6 so I can finally get all the google software out of my iPhone. Apple software is the best there is today.

23. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

What's wrong with you? I was just saying.

24. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Agreed. I also noticed Google Now starts converting voice to text while you're talking while Siri waits till you're finished?