Siri when driving

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dalcorn1, Feb 5, 2012.

1. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

The main reason I was excited about Siri was the ability to text whilst driving. I'm having an issue with it though.

When the car is stationary or moving slowly the voice recognition is pretty good. If im going along at any pace however it picks up all the background noise and becomes completely useless.

I use a Bluetooth headset, it only cost £15 so I guess there's potential for there to be an issue there, but when the Bluetooth is activated, does the iPhone still use its internal mic and could that be the issue? I don't see how the headset alone can pick up the background noise of the car engine so badly, especially when people can hear me fine on the phone

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

:eek:

Just as it's easier for your ear to make out song lyrics on your home stereo than in your car cruising at speed, Siri will have more troubles with increased ambient noise.

3. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Pickup a Plantronics Voyager Pro HD head set I got one for Christmas and Siri works great in the car. still has some trouble with some words.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure this is going to be too popular, but driving requires total concentration. I should say proper driving requires total concentration.

Just a suggestion for your safety and the safety of others - when you're driving...just drive.:D

A foolish notion, I know...:rolleyes:

5. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Smart words, which people fail to follow and end up hurting others and themselves.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

And just imagine what kind of lawsuit the OP will wind up in if he causes an accident while texting and driving. Many states now forbid it anyway.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Whatever the text is, it can wait.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Link

Driving like an idiot should be banned. Not individual activities that some may or may not be able to perform while driving. People are just as distracted by finding a radio station, looking at billboards, or getting their screaming kids to stop.

9. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

I fail to see how asking Siri to send a text whilst driving, via a handsfree kit, is any different to speaking to another person via said hand free kit or even talking to someone else who is in the car.

10. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

If someone could answer the question of, when the iPhone has a bluetooth headset connected, does it still use the internal microphone? that would be great.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The iPhone should not be using any sort of mic when on bluetooth audio. Audio input should be 100% from your bluetooth mic. I have heard many complain about siri in the car. For me, it seems fine even in my lap or on the passenger seat. Maybe I am lucky? I don't use it all too often. Maybe a text here and there, but I haven't had any glaring problems.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Studies have shown it's exactly the same, actually.

This is not to say that texting is safe, rather it says that talking to people in your car is just as dangerous as talking on a cell phone.

Based on current attitudes (see the replies in this thread for one example) I suppose it's only a matter of time before they ban passengers and make us all drive 1-seater cars.

13. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I use it to text once in awhile while driving but find that since it doesnt read back you what you dictated that it kind of defeats the purpose... unless there is a way to make it read it back to you?

14. cynics macrumors G3

I know what you mean and I don't think it can read back that.

I find it much faster and safer regardless though since I can proof read it very quickly.

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

I use Siri with my car's Bluetooth system. For phone calls it's fine, but for texting it's terrible. Siri copes quite badly with any sort of background noise so driving along makes it almost impossible to text anything other than 'see you soon' or 'on my way'.

The flip side is that when I use Siri in a quiet room, it's fantastically accurate.

16. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

There's an option in settings to dictate back to you.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Doesn't make it right.

18. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Not necessarily.

"Help! I am deaf and my brakes have failed" couldn't really wait :)

Surely just pressing one button isn't going to do any harm? People will start to say do not scratch your head while driving soon.

19. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

Post of the year. I was informing them how to turn on dictation in settings, regardless of use.

20. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

If I did a video of a Siri-car, (with my phone hooked up to my speaker system) telling me how much gas I need, how to buckle a seat belt and other various niceties, would you watch it?

21. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Where? I have voice feedback set to always and that's the only thing I can think that it might be. Hmm, I would be grateful if you could specify. Thank you.

22. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

in what states besdies california is phone use prohibited while driving?

23. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry that's what I was thinking of, mu Siri always dictates messages back to me. Might be because it's through bluetooth

24. Big Pope Daddy macrumors member

Just to be clear, you cannot use a phone without a headset when driving in CA, not that you cannot use a phone period. It must be a hands free type of a unit, whether it is built into the car, bluetooth or a headset. I think the only restriction for over 18 year old drivers is that you cannot have both ears covered, and would assume that goes for the earbuds as well.

Indiana has the same type of a law in place as well. Not sure about other states.

In both instances, hands free "texting" is allowed, so in the case of siri, one could utilize it to read and send texts as well, and be within the law.