Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
My main phone is my iPhone 7: jet black, 256 GB. I love it, and I’m keeping it til it ceases functioning entirely. However, it is right now on its way to Apple because, after getting the battery and screen replaced, exactly 2 weeks later the battery started swelling. So my old iPhone 6 (space gray, 128 GB) is my backup phone.

I noticed this the last time I used it as my backup when I first got my screen and battery replaced in my 7 (I went to the store in person then). As the Apple store nearest me is 1.5 hours away, I decided to ship it in this time since the repairs are still under warranty. So here’s my issue.

If I ask Siri, “Play (insert song, playlist, artist, album, etc.)”, she says, “Ok, playing (insert correct song, playlist, artist, album, etc.)”, but nothing ever actually happens. This happened even when I did a DFU restore as a new iPhone, too. And it’s happening this time when I restored from my iPhone 7 backup. I don’t have any problems with my 7. My iPhone 6 still looks like it just came off the assembly line, while my 7 looks like it’s been through WWIII, so I can’t think anything is damaged. Siri just refuses to play music on my iPhone 6. Also, all my music is physically on my phone, not in the cloud or anything. I like to have my library on my phone.

Any suggestions? Like I said, it even happened when I did a full DFU restore and set it up as a new phone, too, as well as when I restored it from a backup.

Edit: Also, all other Siri functions work normally and as expected. It’s only playing music that doesn’t seem to work.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My iPhone 6 still looks like it just came off the assembly line, while my 7 looks like it’s been through WWIII,
Nice metaphor here. You make my day. ;)

For the Siri part, I guess he is unable to understand the song name and find the right song. If you have time, rename a few songs to sth like watch, Apple, juice etc and see if this is the issue, although I doubt it is. Another possibility is Siri only finds songs form Apple Music.

Reactions: melissapete24

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, it's not just songs. Actually, it started working for everything music-related now *except* Playlists. So, I can now ask for any song, genre, artist, or album, and it works perfectly. I can NOT ask for playlists; when I do, it says, "Ok, playing playlist Classic Country" (for example), but it never actually plays. But it's JUST the playlists that is the problem, now. It's all very strange.

And thanks! I like to write as a hobby, so that generally creeps into anything else I write, too. LOL! XD

Edit: Also, forgot to say, I don't use Apple Music at all; I have it turned off in Settings. And the problem doesn't occur on my 7. It seems to be something with my iPhone 6, Siri, and playlists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.