Siri works as long as you have a US iTunes account

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by klky, Oct 30, 2015.

1. klky macrumors member

klky

Hi All.

Just thought I would share this as I know the question has come up quite a bit.

I live in Hong Kong but have a US based iTunes account. I bought my Apple TV tonight and can finally confirm that as long as you have a US iTunes account, Siri will indeed work.

I signed in with my HK iTunes account and a message popped up to say that Siri does not work. When I signed back into my US account, a window popped up asking if I wish to use Siri. Presumably this will be the same for any of the other 7 regions that support Siri.

Earlier in the week, I had spoken to an Apple "Genius" and was given the wrong information. He told me even if I have a US iTunes account, Siri would not work in HK as the Apple TV would pick up on my location through wifi and region lock me out. I discovered tonight that this is not the case.

Hope this helps!

2. StevenWalker macrumors regular

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

does this mean you can say 'hey siri' in the room the atv4 is in and it will respond? like the amazon echo?

4. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Nope, Siri on the Apple TV only listens if the button the remote is being pressed.