Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I just noticed something that baffled me: when I'm in the "Computers" app, movie section (TV shows works as well), I can actually tell Siri to "show movie x" if, and only if, movie x is currently visible on the screen. What I mean is: I have a long list of movies, and when I scroll down to reveal movie x (does not have to be focussed), and say the magic words, it will start playing. If I'm in another part of the same list, the same command will trigger universal search and show movie x in iTunes or whatever.

That can hardly be the way it's intended to be, right? Btw this is German Siri I'm talking about, just in case that makes any difference.

richardamp

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
This is similar to how Siri is working in other apps. When searching for a show in the ABC app, if that show is visible on the screen when I search (doesn't have to be highlighted) it'll open that show within the ABC app. If I scroll up until that show is no longer visible on the screen, doing the same Siri search will bring up the universal search results.

It seems Siri does some sort of "in screen search" before doing a universal search. Would be nice if Siri could also search the entirety of a 3rd party app like ABC (separate from the universal search).

cipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
Wow, you're right. But that's a bit pointless, isn't it? Everything I see on screen I can pretty much reach within a second or two using the same remote I would have to hold in hand to activate Siri anyway. Don't get it.

richardamp

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Wow, you're right. But that's a bit pointless, isn't it? Everything I see on screen I can pretty much reach within a second or two using the same remote I would have to hold in hand to activate Siri anyway. Don't get it.

Yes, completely pointless. It's got to be a bug, although not sure what functionality they were trying to achieve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.