Siri's really gone downhill. Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'm on vacation this week. I wanted to find the nearest grocery store to the house I'm staying at. I asked Siri at least six times and got nothing back. Either Siri would say 'sorry I can't answer that for you' or would ask me to repeat the question. When I first got my 4S the few times I sed Siri it worked great. Now it almost never works. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im in the Uk so at present this side of Siri does not work, but on the whole ref the other functions of siri i get around a 75% success rate.

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Because you have every sorry loser asking siri stupid questions to see what it says.... then of course asking it out on a date, telling it they love it, asking it the meaning of life, when it was born ect ect.

I haven't had any issues over the last few days.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well I hope there are improvements with iOS 6 because right now Siri sucks. I'm embarrassed when I show it to people and Siri says 'sorry I didn't catch that' or 'I don't understand what you said'. :rolleyes:

6. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

A little off topic but has anyone noticed that Siri seems to have gone the way of facetime i.e. you rarely see someone use it.

Many of the people i know who have 4S don't even bother to show it off anymore. Guess the novelty is worn off.

7. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

8. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

I have been getting the same response the last few weeks. Initially, Siri was flawless in recognizing everything I have said.

It's been out for 6 months now. Siri should have improved, but instead it's become useless.

9. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

These are all important questions. Everyone should know this important information about their personal assistant (birthday, where she came from, etc). :D

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I would imagine we won't see any real enhancements until iOS 6. Initially I thought Apple might treat Siri as separate from the OS, but it would appear not.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I use Siri a lot for things like sending short email or text, playing music or adding appointments to my calendar. I can tell Siri to do it much faster than I can type, and much easier if I can't hold the phone with two hands.

One really bad consequence with using Siri, if you schedule a meeting on your calendar, Siri will automatically send an email to the person the meeting is scheduled with. No way to stop this that I can find. When I found out that Siri was doing this , I removed all the appointments from my calendar, and then Siri sent cancellation emails to everyone. :eek:

13. tekno macrumors 6502a

That's a survey of just 482 people. Not a big sample. And once-a-month is not a lot for such a heavily-advertised feature. Plus, don't forget that Siri is very easy to activate accidentally which could also bump-up the once-a-month statistic.

Like 3DTV, I'm afraid I feel speaking to technology is never going to take-off in the way people think.

14. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I hate these surveys, where it's a pool of like 1,000. There's more than a thousand iPhone owners in my town. So that doesn't say much.

15. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Obviously you don't have kids or your not a distance away from your family because FaceTime is huge in my world.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't think it's Siri, but rather the overly high expectations set via the Steve Jobs Hype Machine.

Now in a Post Jobs Era, we have a much more realistic Tim Cook guiding the ship. Not one to make outlandish claims, he will set realistic expectations. This in turn will actually work to Apples advantage.

Less returns, happier customers and far fewer disappointed users.

Thus far I find Tim Cooks performance exemplary.

17. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I use Facetime more than Siri. And that's only because I travel for business. I haven't taken the time to ask Siri all the stupid questions, but she does know to call me dude... :)

18. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i found myself not using siri for awhile because of the problems OP was having, but recently since 5.1 came out i don't think i've had a single time that my voice isn't heard, or siri "can't do that right now"

I usually use mostly the dictation, however i use siri for things in the kitchen, measurement conversions, timers, reminders.

Although i still feel weird about using it in public, i think that until EVERYONE has something like siri and is using it constantly, it's just a little strange :p

19. xnickitynickx, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I can't remember the last time I've had a problem with Siri. I use it a lot for voice texting while driving, something more people should probably try. Aside from that, small reminders or timers and stuff. I wouldn't say that it's indispensable, but I've definitely had it grow into my routine.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

21. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Siri is completely hit or miss with me. I'm not sure if it's
    the network (ATT) or Apples servers though. Yesterday I
    asked it a question and the three dots just shook side to side
    and returned nothing. Some days I use it and it works really
    well and other days I use it in the same location with the same
    signal strength and it doesn't respond.

I'm assuming it's still in beta so I'm not that worried yet....:eek:

22. Selmir macrumors member

Selmir

I don't use her at all because I don't need her, but sometimes I unfortunalty lean my head some sec to early after typning the number or press one push to much at Home-button, say something in swedish and she answers very weird. Sometimes also very cocky :)

23. cynics macrumors G4

I do use it from time to time while driving to text but only when I want to say something that's too long to quickly text and drive. Then half the time Siri ends up not hearing me properly and then I'll have to correct it anyway.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I use Siri everyday multiple times a day. Have issues less than 1% of the time.

25. jwhelan macrumors newbie

I disabled siri because it is useless in Canada.