Sister giving me her iPhone how do I activate it so I can use it and all that

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iLoveMyApple, Apr 28, 2009.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

My sister has a first gen iPhone and plans on getting a new iPhone, she's actually waiting until summer to see what Apple does with the iPhone. So when she upgrades, she said I can have her old iPhone. I know I can't just put my SIM card in the iPhone and it will all work. I've already read that, but how do I activate it again with my number so I can call, text, surf Safari and all that? Do I have to take it to AT&T? Are they going to charge me?

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

Do you have AT&T already? If so, you can just drop your SIM card in, and it will work. But I would call AT&T and let them know that that you have an iPhone just so everything is legit. They will eventually know you have an iPhone anyway, and they will change your plan to an iPhone plan whether you like it or not.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Actually I am pretty sure you need to unlock the iPhone even if you are going to use AT&T SIM card in it because I tried to pass a phone on like that and it was a no go unless it was unlocked.

4. off in the wood macrumors regular

No. You only need to unlock a phone if your planning on taking it to another network other than AT&T ,like T-mobile for instance. If the OP's sister has AT&T and he will be using the iphone on AT&T, then there would be no reason to unlock it.

Swap the sims out, call or go to AT&T store, done

5. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

That is if you have an iPhone 3G, not the 2G.
    You have to be on the 3G plan or else ATT will some how find out you have a iPhone 3G and change it back if you have it something else.

If you have an iPhone 2G I am pretty sure now you can change it to whatever plan you want (as long as its on ATT).

6. iLoveMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

7. skball123 macrumors regular

MAKE SURE YOU CALL THEM WHEN YOU PUT UR SIM CARD IN... If you don't, super charges will come to you ;). Trust me... Call them. It shouldn't be a very long call.

8. jellis macrumors member

itunes...?

Does no one remember how to set it up on itunes?

You can easily plug the phone into itunes and restore it. Once it has been cleaned out you have the option to restore the old information or set it up on a new number.

It is a very easy process.

9. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

I have had my iPhone 3G on the original iPhone plan since a little after it came out (just switched the Sim from my old iphone to the 3G)... i get ocasional messages saying:

"Your data plan is not eligible for iPhone 3G. To prevent excess charges and enable Visual VM, please call 611 to add a Data Plan for iPhone".

(I get both 3G service plus Visual Voice Mail)

I have gotten those messages just about every month. I just ignore them and have been for almost a year and still get charged my old iPhone plan price and my original iPhone contract is about to expire. (keep in mind I never signed a contract for my iPhone 3G)

I have heard that when you do purchase the iPhone 3g thru ATT that the contract states something to the extent that you must keep it with its eligible plan or that they could change it back or charge you.

problem on their end is that I never signed that contract... just the original iPhone contract.

anyway not saying it would be like this for everyone but im not budging to their ways ... if you want me to change something you should call me... not the other way around.

if they ever increased my rates or changed my plan i would be upset and most likely cancel my service. let me tell you why... i would be totally fine with them limiting my service to EDGE. its not my fault that they let me have the 3G service. I am doing my part on my side of the contract I agreed to and ATT should do the same which so far they are but harrassing me every month (not a big deal)

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I see no reason to call them at all.

11. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Meanwhile, be sure to do something really nice for your sister! :D

12. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

+1 :D

But I really see no reason to call them unless they start charging you big fees which is rather unlikely.

13. iLoveMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

So I can just use my AT&T SIM card from my current phone? I currently have unlimited text and unlimited MediaNet. Plus my SIM card is one of those 3G ones. Will it work in the 1st gen iPhone? Or like a previous poster said I could just use iTunes. Could I?