Sister moving to Australia, need help with cell plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rmhop81, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rmhop81, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Just wanted to say thanks in advance for the help!

My sister is moving to Melbourne, Australia at the beginning of the year and right now she is on contract with AT&T and they won't unlock her iPhone 4 and neither will apple.

What is the best option for her to get an iPhone there and what is the best cell provider? Should she get on a contract or do prepaid? She had a friend suggest https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/ and just do the 24 month contract, but wanted someone who is from Australia to give me their opinion.

Would it make sense for her to buy an unlocked iPhone here in the USA and just take it to Australia?

They will be living in AU for 2-3 years.

Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. rmhop81 thread starter macrumors 68020

rmhop81

sorry should have included that. they will be living there for 2-3 years.

4. biting-mammal macrumors newbie

I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Telstra has the best mobile service and network in Australia, so if she doesn't mind paying a little bit more each month then it's definitely the best value for money because of the superior reception and data speeds.

Optus is cheaper but the reception and data speeds can be a bit spotty and slow.

Avoid Vodafone, as they are having massive problems with their network and are not much cheaper than Optus anyway.

Hope this helps.