Sister to use Edu Discount to buy Mac for me, will her name be registered on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blumac14, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Blumac14 macrumors newbie

My sister is a teacher, recently out of grad school. I myself just graduated from undergrad a year ago. I'm ready to buy my first MBP and could use the savings. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm just a little nervous that if I have my sister use her education discount to buy my MBP for me, that when it comes it will it have her name basically embedded within Leopard or something like that. Is that crazy thinking? I mean, parents use the educational discount to buy for their kids...

Has anyone had a similar situation?

And with AppleCare, if in the future I need to get something fixed... will my sister have to be the one associated with it still?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Macs are not registered to people in that way.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can register the MBP under whatever name you choose. Nothing about your identity is embedded in Leopard.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

They don't even check educational requirement if you buy online, you can buy it yourself.

5. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

well actually,
    when you purchase the computer they do scan the serial number and that is paired with the name on the I.D. used, and will show on the receipt?
    If you get apple care, at the time of purchase. It is auto enrolled, under her name.
    So make sure you have your sister, transfer it to your name, after several weeks. Just so their is no issue later on.

Just remember you are scamming apple. Apple has been very generous with providing edu. discounts. Someday they might not offer this to those that truly need them:(

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just sell my education discount hardware. :rolleyes:

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I have to wonder though, if Apple makes so much money that the company doesn't care about a fairly small amount of people who aren't technically covered by the education discount.

About the original poster's question - I'm pretty sure Apple has no problem with your sister using her education discount, however she will technically not be allowed to buy another Mac laptop machine with a discount until the following school year - or so I understand. I got both my Macs using the student discount legitimately.

8. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

I feel like a broken record - but the refurb pricing is better than the edu discount, and I'm pretty sure that apple would rather have the marketshare than squabble over a nominal discount. MBP? the $1799 2.4 (edu discount) is selling for $1699 as a refurb. They get you with the applecare (it is $100 more for non-edu), so it's a wash in that regard...so why not just buy a refurb?

That said, they specifically state that if they discover that you've gotten the discount via means that mis-represent your student status, they reserve the right to bill you for the difference.

Or is this about the ipod deal? I'm guessing that apple would prefer not to give away $300 ipods to non-students, and will be checking things pretty closely...i'd hate to think i was spending $1940 (MBP + Applecare + Free Ipod Touch) and then get billed for $2650 (MPB + Applecare + NotFreIpodTouch) - they are completely within their rights to do so (i.e. bill you for the extra $610 (!!!) if they find out you did things shady...

the point?
    they probably let it slide (if they notice) if you just get the MBP, since the edu vs. refurb costs are a push...but if you are gunning for the ipod? sketchy.

safe answer - buy the refurb. enjoy a vetted computer
    (written from an abused, but still standing refurb-ibook-g4)

9. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

Coming from someone who had to fax their proof of status to apple, otherwise they were going to charge me for the difference, i can state that while they might not check everyone, they do check.

10. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

and this my friends, is why it's good to hold onto your student ID for a while after you graduate. (also comes in handy for movies and other various tiny small student discounts) the tend to rarely change, and my university has you keep the same ID the whole time you are there, so if i was a 10th year phd student and had never changed schools, i'd have the same ID from when i was 18 haha.

When I bought my last mac - well my dad bought one with my discount (I was still a student mind you! :) ) and all they asked for was a scan of my student ID at the time. Perhaps they ask different people for different things.

11. sanford macrumors 65816

Amen to the first part. She can buy one at ed. discount. She can do with it as she pleases. And Apple has dropped the consumer lines from the ed. discount, though they still sometimes do things like ed. Mac+free iPod deals.

As for the second part, I think that's at the uni-run campus stores. We can use our homeschool ed. discount online or at an Apple Store as much as you wish for Macs every year. Well, I'm sure there's a limit, like maybe more than four Macs of any kind, but we've yet to hit that in a year. And I doubt we will. We're stopping at three kids, so there are five us total. I can't imagine we all get new Macs in one year, ever. Some one or two of us always has a perfectly good, new-ish Mac.