.sit files and OS X

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
this is just a general question from a soon to be switcher...

what do you guys use to archive files? just StuffIt expander? can OS X handle .sit without the expander? does it come with it (no?)
is there a better way of doing things?

a general rundown of the issue would be nice.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,233
2
London, England
I think that Stuffit Expander does come with the OS, but all this will do is expand, not compress.
To make your own archives you need Stuffit Deluxe. PM me for info on a *demo* ;)
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
thanks guys... i would like to learn to do more from terminal.. i will probably get into that later, but i need something analogous to winzip (like stuffit) for now...

but yes, tar and gzip are cool
 

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
1,307
0
Sydney, Australia
look on version tracker for freetar. it is an app that sits in your dock, you drag a file over it (when its running) and it will compress it, place it and name it according to your settings.

pretty easy, and if you are worried about windows users, i think it can do .zip aswell, just with a better algorithm and faster than a peecee.
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
Originally posted by benixau
look on version tracker for freetar. it is an app that sits in your dock, you drag a file over it (when its running) and it will compress it, place it and name it according to your settings.

pretty easy, and if you are worried about windows users, i think it can do .zip aswell, just with a better algorithm and faster than a peecee.
pretty sweet, i'll look into that for sure when i get my powerbook (hopefully next week)...

however, no archiver is worth dock space. i don't know the dock well. can you make it only be in the dock when the app is running?
 

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
1,307
0
Sydney, Australia
you can, but you will have to hunt through your apps folder for ti when you need it.

To not keep it there when it isnt running, just dont drag it around your dock or select "keep in dock" from its context menu. oing either of these things just keeps it in the dock. If that happens just drag it out and watch it go 'poof'.

Dock things on the left ar just shortcuts. if you <i>really</i> want you can drag the finder out but that isnt a good idea.

Another little thing is, if you dont use it once a week get it out. I did that and i made my dock smaller. Max magnification meant that i can live with smaller dock and more screen space.

If you want to auto-hide the dock like you do in windblows then just press ⌘-⌥-D (cmd-opt-D). To view it while it is like that move your mouse to the edge of the screen. Hope i have helped a little in your OSX journey.
 

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
1,652
6
State of Denial
1. OS X can't decompress any files without an expander (Stuffit comes with it) or the terminal.

2. Using Stuffit 7.0 Standard, you CAN compress files, you'll just get a shareware message every time.
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
1. OS X can't decompress any files without an expander (Stuffit comes with it) or the terminal.

2. Using Stuffit 7.0 Standard, you CAN compress files, you'll just get a shareware message every time.
1. yeah, XP has it's own decompressor but it SUCKS.

2. i didn't know stuffit expander was incl. in the bundle. does it have the stupid shareware banners for just the expander? i would readily cheat any company that does that out of their software :)o ), that is just so stupid. my PC version does that too. I don't mind using limited software, i never zip stuff, and when i do, i can just use terminal, but i do a lot of zip opening, and i prefer a good visual interface for that. but to have that damn popup that "reminds" you to buy their better software. i don't want to do more, and i don't see why they have to nag me about getting more. that is what people are for. when i want to get annoyed, i talk to annoying nags. i don't like my computer being a nag, because i literally spend most of my time with it. my computer is more like a girlfriend... i spend a lot of money and time on her, and i require satisfaction and good looks from her. the only difference is i own my computer, and it's always here, all the more reason to make it even less annoying than i would let a girlfriend be.

thanks for the info though
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
Originally posted by benixau
you can, but you will have to hunt through your apps folder for ti when you need it.

To not keep it there when it isnt running, just dont drag it around your dock or select "keep in dock" from its context menu. oing either of these things just keeps it in the dock. If that happens just drag it out and watch it go 'poof'.

Dock things on the left ar just shortcuts. if you <i>really</i> want you can drag the finder out but that isnt a good idea.

Another little thing is, if you dont use it once a week get it out. I did that and i made my dock smaller. Max magnification meant that i can live with smaller dock and more screen space.

If you want to auto-hide the dock like you do in windblows then just press ⌘-⌥-D (cmd-opt-D). To view it while it is like that move your mouse to the edge of the screen. Hope i have helped a little in your OSX journey.
thanks for the dock lesson, i think i knew most of that, but a few things were helpful, and i really appreciate the keyboard macros. i use keyboard shortcuts to all my main programs in windows--photoshop, AIM, winamp.... i will want to have AIM, iTunes, and photoshop start up the same in OS X too. as for the start bar, i hate the hiding aspect in windows, and won't use it in X, though it's good to know it's there.
i love that poof thing the dock does when you drag stuff out of it.

to go off the topic coompletely, i was wondering about the dock. i have seen a lot of screenies where people have the dock moved to the lower left on the bottom instead of the center, and they heve iTunes running in it's smallest mode in the right side corner. does OS X natively let you do that, or do i need to get one of those Haxies like those from unsanity?
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
Originally posted by mmmdreg
umm exactly...the stuffit standard you install has a couple of compression tools..why not just use those?
right, but i would never stand for a program that always popped reminders to buy their "better" software. that's just the most annoying thing in the world. (ok, i am being a little dramatic)
 

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
70
0
does stuffit standard (the free one) uncompress or open .tar and .rar files from a windows machine?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.