Sites which allow users to be abusive to others

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zetaprime, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to report a site (iclarified.com) to an appropriate agency for allowing repeated instances of abuse by other users? They have a comment system which allows people to post under fake names and I have often encountered abusive comments for posts that had nothing to do with any individuals. I have tried to complain to the people who run the site but they have never been responsive and I have no idea who their hosting service might be or else I would have filed a complaint with them.

There are laws against cyber bullying and any forum or blog which allows it should be held liable since they are capable of identifying and banning offenders. Failing to do so would have to constitute some violation of law. M

For example this forum, which is moderated, does not allow abuse and will warn users who cross the line in their postings. Hence I have no problem here. But iclarified not only allows abusive posts but provides no proper feedback channel for reporting abuse like most other sites do.

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Some sites have stricter moderation than others, if you feel offended then perhaps you should consider posting elsewhere.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Report what? Hurt feelings?

5. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

If its a serious form of a harassment which involves someone who has identified your offline identity and is harassing you then this. If someone just called you a bad name then get over it.

----------

Offline identity harassment is a serious criminal offense that is worthy of legitimate complaint to the authorities.

6. Zetaprime, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014

Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

Well you see, that's just the sort of attitude which is not helpful. Telling someone to 'just get over it' shows a complete lack of compassion.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Mind explaining what happened in detail? Otherwise everyone will assume you don't have thick enough skin.

8. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately people say things on internet forums, and they can because they're completely anonymous, it's called "the greater internet dickwad theory". Unfortunately there's a lot of forums out there that allow people to behave like this, and there's often not a whole lot the authorities, their ISP or anyone else will do about it.

The internet is largely not legislated with regards to your feelings, and there's not a whole lot anyone can or will do about it. If it's not trivial contact the site administrator through the appropriate email address.

9. Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

Never mind. Anyone who thinks you have to have s skin of a certain thickness does not understand the basics of human civility. I see that the folks in here are not going to be any help. I will consider this thread closed.

10. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately while you might not agree, police aren't there to deal with hurt feelings, or spilled milk.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Well you made a thread about it, expect to be asked details. Seems like you can't even handle that. You should file a police report against us too.

12. Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually I'm done. Turning off notifications. Outta here for good. None of you have the slightest concept of civilized behavior.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

[​IMG]

14. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

15. Meister, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

There seem to be a certain amount of folks like the OP who get their pantys wet when people write stuff on the internets that they do not like. So they scream for censorship and "agencys" to report to. (because that's what government money is really for - policing comments in the internets) Thought police here we come ...

Yes, and thank god for that!

16. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Fortunately/unfortunately, it depends on the way you take it. Maybe I would have been in less trouble lately if this forum wasn't so strict on saying what I actually think.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

People like the OP need to suck it up. Meanness does exist in the world, especially on the internet. Deal with it.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Wow, someone got their feelings hurt in a forum. Surprise. Here's the best way to handle that forum.

People in an anonymous chat forum are going to say lots of mean and hurtful things. It's going to happen. The people are going to do it because they feel that no one knows who they are. If they found a way to make you mad, they are going to continue to needle it. Often they like making you mad more than the topic being discussed.

If you make a report for cyber bullying, the police are going to nod as they take the report. When you walk out they'll file the report in the circular filing cabinet. I know that I grew up in a different time period than you did but if someone had trouble with another on the playground, the worst thing that he could do is tell the teachers or a parent.

I'm not a physiologist but I can play one on the internet. This message was brought to you by the letter "P" and the number "5."

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

A P5?

[​IMG]

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Well, no that wasn't in mind. Remember Sesame Street? The episodes are always brought to you by a letter and a number.

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

We didn't have sesame street when i was a kid :(
    We only had like two government channels on a tiny TV. Spent more time outside. That's why my generation is not obese I guess.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I didn't see it as a child. I am a dad. And the OP needs to "Let it go, Let it go..."

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Ever hear of the first amendment?

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Technically the first amendment doesn't apply to privately owned websites. So if macrumors wanted to censor everyone opinions, they can. Of course you have the ability to stop visiting here if they did.

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Still not really sure how this cyber bulling thing works, you can just leave the website right? I know just I logged off MSN or blocked users who were being *******s back in the day.