Six By Twelve: Same-Sex Marriage in New England by 2012

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

An update and analysis of the push for homotrimony in the Northeast... The "Six by Twelve" initiative calls for legal same-sex marriage in the six New England states by 2012. I still don't care for their accents, but I approve heartily of what they say with them. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/us/05marriage.html?hpw

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's so good to finally ge this good news after all the darkness of the Bush years. Let's hope this continues!

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

They're smart to target states that cannot easily have popular votes to overturn these decisions in a timely manner. If it takes two years before a challenge can be mounted (pun intended ;)), voters will likely see that the sky didn't fall in as the anti-equality folks claim it will; and are more likely to reject restrictions on marriage equality the longer it's gone on.

Particularly since, the longer it goes on, the likelier a potential voter will know someone who has been gay-married. When it gets personal like that, it's even harder to vote to take someone's rights away.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's exactly what this battle needs... it needs to be more personal. It's not like gay marriage is a sea change in the law to affect some teeny, tiny minority of the population. There are tons of homos out there. ;) Let those that have the nesting instinct nest, and let everyone see the miserable failure of the world to end as a result.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Popular vote should NEVER be permitted to take away people's rights. I still don't understand how California is getting away with this. How can Prop 8 be Federally constitutional? It goes completely against what the USA stands for.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lee, you know I heartily agree with you about the popular vote issue. I suspect you also know the disdain with which I hold California's ballot initiative process, as well as my feelings about Prop. 8.

However, with the rules being such as they are, it's a very smart move to target places like Iowa where it would take years to mount a significant challenge to marriage equality. The more states that offer gay marriage, the more shame it heaps on places like California and New York who are supposed to be the trendsetters, but who are woefully behind on this issue.

In any case, we're approaching Kabuki Theater here soon. This battle is won, and we're just waiting for the players to make their final preordained moves. In the next 10 to 20 years, homosexuals will have full marriage equality just as surely as whites are becoming a minority. It's just a matter of time at this point. No amount of right-wing hysteria will stop it.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In twenty years I'll be in my 60's. That's hardly encouraging. :(

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's not always about you, Lee... :p

And yeah, in that way it kinda sucks for you; but think about what your generation did for the next. Think about how different it's gonna be for Prof and Dmac -- and all the kids that come up now -- than it was for you. That's because of what you and others before you did. That's pretty damn encouraging, at least to me anyway.

Plus, if I had to bet, I'd say you won't have to wait twenty years. With all the cracks, it won't be long until the dam bursts.

9. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I should probably observe that no amount of legality concerning gay marriage would have obtained that end for you, as of yet, sir. ;)

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ho ho ho.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

True enough. I am happy they don't have to live through what we we did: Reagan, the beginning of AIDS, and all the hatred that went with it.

No comment. ;)

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

would a gay marriage have the same litigation as a heterosexual marriage in the divorce realm?

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It should be exactly the same.

Key word being should.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it would.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course. That's the whole point, that they're identical.

16. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think there has already been a small bit of work on this topic... if my memory does not deceive me, in essence, the trend appears to be that gay marriages are like heterosexual marriages -- they survive about as often, and sometimes the divorces are messy and other times they are quite amicable. (Which I think, if one were being a scientist about whether gay marriage is the same sort of stuff as heterosexual marriage, would require some aphorism such as, "If it quacks like a duck, and it swims like a duck....")

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ay! **** yoo buddy! New England accents ah wikkid pissah! Don't judge us by Kevin Costner in Thirteen Days.

And yes, I actually HAVE pahked my cah in Havahd Yahd.
    Currently, while it's legal for a Rhode Island gay couple to get married in Mass, or wherever, they can't get divorced in RI, because of the way divorce law is worded. I'm not exactly sure why it's not explicitly legal in RI currently, but there is a bill before the RI Senate to legalize it.

18. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I just heard of this today, and think it's fantastic!

Grew up in CT, now live in MA - New England marriage equality FTW.

Part of me is really hoping it will be accomplished by 2012, but another cynical bit of me is quietly snickering. Seems that at least for VT and NH, the governors will be the biggest hurdles to get over.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- I love the NE accent. I think it's cool. It's my favorite. :)

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I get confused when people refer to the NE accent, I sure as hell don't talk like I'm from boston.....

Anyway, I for one am surprised as hell that we have Gay Marriage here in CT with a Republican in power. Interestingly enough, she seems like a good leader to me, one of the few Republicans I can tolerate.

21. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Nor I.

I've been told that CT folks have a New Britain accent, and the ones closer to NYC have a combination of a New Britain accent with parts of NYC accents thrown in - for example, I pronounce merry, marry, and Mary the same. Apparently, that's a NYC thing. But dropping the t's in mitten and kitten is a New Britain thing.

If they say so. :)

Admittedly though, since I've moved to Boston, I'm getting more and more of a Bahston accent. I need to nip it in the bud, even though I have pahked mah cah at Hahvahd Yahd before. :D

I was really surprised too. I thought that NH and MA would have passed gay marriage legislation before CT would. CT, at least where I grew up, seems to be a tad more conservative than the northern New England counterparts. Perhaps it's the Yankees/Red Sox split. ;)

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Don't group me in with those Boston wankers! :p

At or in? At isn't hard, as long as you can find a spot. In is a bit harder, you have to know someone. :p

23. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

At.

I don't know anyone to get me in. ;)