Six hospitals won’t reveal fetal sex during ultrasound

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Apr 17, 2012.

1. iJohnHenry, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And in order to avoid racial/religious profiling, they prevent other couples from knowing as well.

Why not just cut to the chase, and refrain from telling those parents with the greatest risk of aborting a female fetus?

Not PC? Too bad. :mad:

Link.

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

as much as I hate the idea of of what this is trying to prevent it is not the hospitals place to prevent this. I'm probably going to stir the pot pretty heavily with this statement but better a child is aborted than born, abandoned and left to die anyways.

3. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I disagree, as Canada is not their native country, and many couples would welcome adopting a new-born girl.

The trick is to convince the parents to carry to full term.

That might be a hard sell, particularly if they are determined to try for a boy immediately.

Ugly business all round.

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Well to start, I agree its ugly all around. Obviously this is a bad situation any way you look at it and the best case is for parents to have children they want or not have children at all.

On that note, being unfamiliar with canada specifically as it related to welfare and support for children I can only comment with my limited knowledge of the US and assume there is some degree of similarity.

I think the trick isvto get out ahead of the problem rather than chasing it. Once a a women gets pregnant it's too late. Yes, there might be some couples looking to adopt and that's great but it'll never be all the unwanted children. The solution has to come out in front of getting pregnant not after it.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I say let it continue, traditions like this deserve to die out and this will only speed the process.

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

let what continue? hospitals not telling them or asian families abandoning baby girls?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Could you clarify?

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

are you not familiar with what this is trying to prevent?

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

At the time I was born, per-sexing was an expensive and uncommon process (usually involving amniosyntesis, I think). Just because it seems to have become SOP easy in this day and age does not somehow make it a human right.

10. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

That's not really the issue here. These hospitals are refusing to give out the information because they don't want children to be aborted or abandoned based on sex.

11. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I still fail to grasp how anyone could wish for a gender enough to wish to abort a pregnancy if it's the wrong one.

Doesn't seem like very good parents in the first place. It saddens me to think of cases like in China, where girl babies sometimes get abandoned on the streets because the parents want a boy.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe you did not see what I highlighted in my previous response. If it's all about stopping those who don't want female children from killing them, I understand, but what about racial profiling and not letting other couples know?

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let people continue to know the sex, if their culture aborts females the problem will resolve itself within a few generations.

14. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

This is exactly what they're trying to prevent. It's asians in these neighborhoods that want to know the sex of the child to determine if they'll abort it or carry full term. They're withholding the information to prevent the abortion of baby girls.

How would that work? Do you realize how many years "a few generations" are? That could take 50 years and how do you think it'll "resolve" itself?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Guys dont typically get pregnant and have kids together. They usually need women for that.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe if and when women start making more income in the modern work place then their male counterparts. Of course for that to happen you first need to have gender equality which clearly does not exist in most of the world.

17. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Well you're both right in that a balance would get out of whack and things would have to change but the amount of time it would take for that to happen just isn't acceptable in societal terms. This type of problem can't be allowed to grow and grow. We need to find a better solution.

18. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I mean in a half-assed attempt to prevent so many aborted females, NO ONE can find out the sex of their future baby.

Why should these 'normal' couples be caught-up in the process?

I favour abortion for many reasons, but never this one.

Being female is not to be treated as a genetic anomaly, to be obliterated.

If you mean the racial/religious statement, all these hospitals are selected by racial profiling their patient base.

19. jeremy h macrumors 6502

This has been going on for quite a while in the UK. I think hospitals are much more open about it now and are prepared reveal if asked but in the past there has been deliberate policies not to reveal the sex even if it can be determined and parent has asked.

I think the big concern is about being sued if it was wrong (In discussions the ethnic thing is hinted at but not really ever discussed openly. So I don't know how seriously it's considered as a reason).

In my direct (but limited) experience it seems to depend on the operator and the hospital's location. (Big city or town etc)

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Completely agree.

Completely agree.

To be honest I think they should just tell the families. Given that its not that big a deal in India or China I don't see that its a particular issue for Canada as a whole.

Even in the worst provinces in Asia there are only 15% more boys than girls, which is a big deal, but when you take account of the fact that only 5% of the population in Canada is of Chinese and Indian origin - even if Canadian Chinese and Indians were as bad as the worst provinces in Asia it would still only come to less than a 1% change over the norm, which is so insignificant its not worth worrying about.

Anyone who was really desperate for a sex-selective abortion would get one (and an ultrasound which revealed the gender of the child) anyway.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Well that's not really the case. If you read the article to the end the 6 hospitals really don't withhold gender as the article sets up (see below). In most cases it is the doctor that tells you the results. Which is the case with a lot of tests - it's not the place of technicians to interpret/give the results irrespective of how capable they are.

In the case of ultrasound and sex this isn't only because of abortions as set up by the article. Another (and perhaps more plausible) reason why this would be the case is X chromosome linked diseases. It's up to the referring physician to give the sex and then counsel and/or make the appropriate referrals to genetic counselling.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I can see why this might be an attractive policy, but I think it's dishonest. Patients have a right to know their medical status, especially as a part of thorough informed consent.

If sex-selective abortions are becoming a problem in Canada, then I think education and community engagement are the appropriate ways to address the situation.

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's a losing situation all-around. It is the right to autonomy versus the right to autonomy and human rights versus other human rights. Female circumcision is in the same boat. There is no 'right' in these situations IMO.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But lots of people want to know the sex of their baby, female circumcision is just bad.

25. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yeah, the whole ritual for their first-born, and planning/executing the babies room. :D

And don't say "yellow". it's so demeaning. ;)