Six Teenagers Vying for Governor of Kansas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Feb 10, 2018.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Anyone want a job? Decent benefits, lots of land to maintain, people to help you with what you want to achieve, and more! No citizenship or residency status or minimum age required! All you have to do is move to the Midwest, and be surrounded by miles and miles of wheat!

If you have what it takes, then the Governorship of Kansas is waiting for you! If these six teenagers can do it, so can you! Call or mail now! :D

BL.

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

[​IMG]

It's not like their economic policies could be any worse. :cool:

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually dont see a problem with them running as long as they are done with HS. Can't be worse than having fossils in office.

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

No requirements whatsoever. They can still be in school and be Governor of the state. Again, lack of foresight with the legislature of the state for not putting any requirement into the law books. They should have thought about that at least 150 years ago, let alone the last 50 - 100.

BL.

5. JayMysterio, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yup. If only they put the same thought they put into voter laws as they do in who they are voting for. Ah...:rolleyes:

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Then how about moving to Kansas and work to change the law? If Kansasans are okay with it, then what business is it of nonresidents? Good lord.

7E347CC5-CFA8-4403-81D2-F46C975EE5C4.jpeg

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lived in Kansas most of my life, doesn't seem to have caused any issues thus far, if a 17 year old has a message that gets them elected then so be it.

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I never said there was a problem, did I? I just said that there weren't any requirements, so placing one on having to be out of high school, as @Zombie Acorn suggested would currently be against current law, so please cite where I said that I had a problem with current law, because I don't have a problem with it.

And FYI:

<---- this guy = former resident of Manhattan, Lawrence, and Overland Park, Kansas, with relatives living in Baxter Springs, on Route 66. I have known the I-70, I-29 in Missouri, US-71 (now also I-49), US-75, and I-35 corridors like the back of my hand ever since I was born.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

To be honest I read the thread title differently...that said, I actually like the broad strokes of the first 17-year-olds Platform...

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Oh come on. Your original post was sarcastic and judgemental. Now you’re pleading angelic innocence. Such crap. If Kansasans want to change their laws then fine. It’s no one else’s business.

I love an acoustic sunrise of Sunday morning. Coincidentally Sunshine is playing....

Sunshine go away today
    I don't feel much like dancin'
    Some man's come he's trying to run my life
    Don't know what he's askin'
    When he tells me I better get in line
    Can't hear what he's sayin'
    When I grow up, I'm gonna make it mine
    These ain't dues I been payin'...

He can't even run his own life
    I'll be damned if he'll run mine, sunshine

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From one of the candidates himself:

Uh, yeah. That's what we thought about a crazy reality show star's chances at being president.

All right. Already these young guys have shown buckets of common sense.

Oh, no way they'd elect somebody who says something like that. ;)

Unfortunately, it looks like only one of these six guys is a Democrat. But, you know... Kansas.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I don't really see why there should be requirements. It should be up to the voters to decide if someone is qualified. If the voters choose somebody completely unqualified. So be it. They made their choice.

Are the lawmakers really that frightened that a 17 year old can beat them? If they are. They should take a hard look at themselves and the quality of their work.

I'd just find it humorous if one of them won. Then turned out to be the greatest governor in the history of the United States.

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I never judged anyone in the OP, nor can you ever say that I have. If anything, my point here is that it is damn well AMAZING that not only did Teenagers find a HUGE loophole in the laws that the current and former members of the executive and legislative branches in the state of Kansas forgot about, but actually have smart enough brains to know what they can and will do should they be elected. I seriously doubt you will find that in any other state in this country, let alone from anyone that is of yours or any other age near them.

Furthermore, this gives me great pleasure and solace in knowing that we actually have kids who aren't stuck in the Generation Facebook/Generation Me lifestyle, where all they would want is instant gratification for what they want and for the little that they do.

These kids are already ready to do something that very few here have done: serve others. Perhaps you should re-read the article and see what they want to do instead of trying to prejudge me for what I have posted.

BL.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Actually I think I did. But since you’ve clarified yourself that Kansas should just elect who they please, according to the statutes then we agree. Maryland too, for that matter.

15. jeyf macrumors 65816

They are going to build a wall and drain the swamp?

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Oh give it a rest you two.

OT: Interesting. Good luck to them.

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Yep. They are definitely going to build a wall. It's called a prison, for some White Americans who took it upon themselves to think that their country is only for them, and shot two legal, law-abiding citizens of Indian descent, killing one and critically wounding another.

And yes, they will also drain the swamp of those Republicans who thought they would be the example, but instead showed that trickle-down economics simply does not work. In fact, even as the current Kansas governor called it a "real-life live experiment and touted how successful it was going to be, instead, it was a nightmare, in which everyone in that state is paying the price.

That swamp deserves to be drained, and I seriously hope that these kids do it.

BL.

18. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Do you really think the voters of Kansas will elect a teenager Governor? However, maybe a 15 year old DACA candidate could get elected in California. Dream platform, free grass, free housing, free food, free EVERYTHING.

19. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Oh, we definitely agree. If there is anyone I have disdain for, it is the current legislature, let alone the predecessors going back to when the state was admitted to the union, for their lack of thought and forethought to put some prerequisites into place. They should have thought about this a hell of a long time ago, but now that their lack of oversight has been exposed, these kids have taken clear advantage of it.

I think it would be a hilarious riot and a half if one of them wins. Imagine the teenage boy's night out they would have on Friday night, especially if Justin Trudeau pays them a visit (which he easily could do; Bombardier has a base in Wichita where they build the Learjet).

Wow, hyperbole so thick here.

Yes, I think they could, especially since no-one else really major has put their hat in the running for Governor. Perhaps as @Gutwrench already said, since there is no residency, age, or citizenship requirement, you could run for Governor and try to do better than these kids, who, as I said earlier, have the brains to know that they can serve others and do it to their best of their abilities, instead of sitting behind a keyboard and criticizing the people of the State of Kansas.

BL.

20. Eraserhead, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I met a university student over the weekend who would probably make a better prime minister or president of the US than the current incombants.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, the older generation has made a mess of things, so why not some young people? I do think 18 should be the minimum, though, for an elected official should be old enough to vote.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    I meet them all the time. It gives one hope.

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Hypothetical question. 17 year-old Jack Bergeson and Donald Trump are running in your state. Who do you vote for?