SJW's demand ice cream company change name because it's "hate speech"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, Mar 29, 2018.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Sweet lord Jesus....can these snowflakes be more triggered? These are probably the same folks who voted for Trump and spent the better part of the last 3 years calling everyone else "snowflakes".

https://wokesloth.com/ice-cream-shoppe/mariam/

Happy to say the company is standing firm.

2. 0007776 Suspended

If you’re offended then don’t buy it, which is what these people seem to be doing.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it is in poor taste to name the company that and some of the names of the flavors as well. Seems like it is designed to mock/ridicule Christianity, I'm not surprised that some are upset about it.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We have one in the area, their red velvet
    ice cream is good, music was too loud last time I went though. Didn't really notice anything in particular that would trigger Christians, I brought my 3 year old in.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I'll bet the same people who are offended by this "Sweet Jesus" ice cream company are even more offended by the beer company which has named one of their products "Sweet Baby Jesus."

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Social Justice Warriors and pearl-clutching Christians are not the same groups, but they do employ the same tactics and I find them both annoying. (Though rankling Christians used to be really entertaining.)

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Which is why I roll my eyes at anyone who complains about "snowflakes" and those who are too "sensitive" and "offended". Those same people have things that offend them. Behold. They complain that others get their panties in a knot too easily whilst their own underwear is similarly contorted.

I just wish the hypocrisy would stop.

8. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

I thought SJW was exclusively reserved for the left? Poor confused conservatives.

Hardly a big deal. It's not uncommon for sweet shops to go with a clever title. We just had a "Milk Milk Lemonade" milkshakes & chocolates store open up. Google if you don't know the reference.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You could always make it Sweet Zombie Jesus instead.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Some/Many of these people voted for Trump and believe he's a good spiritual leader for this country. After all - he brought Christmas back. So not sure how many legs they have to stand on.

11. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I’ll just note my continuing objection to the use of the term social justice warrior as a pejorative. Someone who fights for social justice should be viewed as a hero, not ridiculed. Object to thin-skinned, overly sensitive people all you want, but please find a different term to describe them.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'd rather that we have social justice warriors than social injustice warriors, but in any case I marvel that many Christians seem so upset by SJW's and vice versa. You'd think there would be an alignment of views.

As for the name of the ice cream shop, I suppose there are better names and I'm curious how they treat religious staff members who might be offended by the name.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It does seem like the name and some things they do are meant to mock Christianity, and that's fine. Free speech all the way. If someone wants to open an ice cream shop and name it after a religion and it's symbols then they should be able to do that, for ANY religion.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What if the owner is Mexican? Honestly, who gives a ****. The good thing is there's little chance of a bomb going off in one of his joints, if it was "Rockin Mohammed FROYO" he might be in danger.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

First page and we already have islamophobia creeping in. America, 2018.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because Charlie Hebdo was a figment of all our imaginations.

17. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

18. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Crazy 'Mericans always mispronouncing foreign names.;) It's pronounced Jesus (Hey Zeus):D
    [​IMG]

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

For about a year I've been seeing yard signs the say,"Thank you Jesus."

I'm assuming Jesus has been doing a lot of lawn mowing in my area.:p

[​IMG]

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'Thank you Jesus' is copyrighted?

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jesus was a social justice warrior.

23. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Conservatives aren’t allowed to object to anything. Shhhh...

24. BeeGood, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Personally, I don’t understand why this would be offensive. I don’t think they should have named their shop after Jesus, but their relationship (or lack there of) with the Lord is between them...and the Lord. It has nothing to do with me or any of those folks that signed that petition.

25. 0007776 Suspended

It probably is seen as offensive due to at least one of two things. It may be because it is seen as mocking Christians, and people sometimes take offense to being mocked, or because Christians presumably follow the ten commandments, and one of those is: "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." Exodus 20:7