Skateboarder amnesia and court case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jun 17, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I used to skateboard until very recently and suffered too many concussions, but thought nothing of it. I sometimes got slurred speech, one sided numbness, stuttering, but I recover fairly quickly after a bad spill. Sometimes I have bad memory. Many years before my re-entry into skateboarding, in the early '90s I had a really bad concussion in a car accident and got retrograde amnesia and wiped out a lot of my hard drive.

It turns out I worked in a non profit, and briefly other than a volunteer I was paid as the groundskeeper $100 dollars a month for about two years. The accountants there were accused of bad and sloppy accounting and now I can be sued for all of my back pay, or a portion thereof. More than two dozen others were sued for backpay or failing to question the accountants.

This was back in the early/mid 2000s, and there was a con man serial sue artist/con artist who joined the non profit, f-ed things up, and then sued the non profit every year since about 2004 until now. That person(s) won't stop and they want the non-profit's insurance money. First he sticks us with a fake racism suit in '04 or '05 and then with a bad bookkeeping suit this year. Those are the two suits that stuck in his many attempts to defraud us.

Here's where it gets stoopid. I take up skateboarding as some of you know I have a business, hit my head many times trying the stuff out, and now I can't remember details well enough to nab this predator. I get his name mixed up with another, can't remember one location I worked at as a volunteer for 3 full years in the early 90s when I had my car accident, and other stuff is forgotten back then and more recently.

The serial sue artist is severely disabled and always finds an attorney's ear, or the state, or county, to keep on filing these dumb suits.

How do I respond? (ps - I went to law school a year and pretty much concussed all that out of my head not to mention wanting to forget it anyway ;) ). Though I was just a gardener, everyone signed a non-disclosure agreement not to mention his name since he was disabled or so he made us to believe. He played us. And every time he makes an allegation, we can't answer lest we break the law by mentioning his name.

Social workers, and everybody, including me the groundskeeper, are practically handcuffed from his ongoing suits. This type of fraud happens a lot against social workers and the organizations they work for.

We all see what is coming next. He will "fall" in some restaurant he finds is not ADA compliant, slip on the steps at the junior college, or come up with something else. This man or men, though self educated, is/are extremely smart. I would venture to call them professional serial sue artists.

What to do?

1) my testimony, even if it were legal, has too many gaps of detail due to my concussions (I can't even answer anything on wheel of fortune and I used to rock at that game and I appear stupid when speaking even though I was educated).
    2) even if I never had a concussion and my memory was crystal clear, I signed a non dislosure agreement never to mention his name outside of the non profit
    3) one attorney said I can file a complaint against the con man's attorney but they are not the culprit as he attorney shops until he finds a bleeding heart who will do pro bono work

There are about three dozen of us who want to counter sue, but we signed that non-disclosure agreement and the man/men are using their disability they claim to have to get very rich. About 40 years ago in my town, there was this lady who "fell" everywhere (always in businesses and rich people's homes) and cleaned up financially. She was never brought to justice. It's our system, unfortunately.

thanks in advance for reading this rant :)

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Requestung thread title change to "the importance of helmets" :).

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

lol, tell me about it

based on your spelling, do you skate, too? ;)

But seriously.

A friend of mine says it's usually a case where the one suing is the one who was skateboarding at some skate park where the skate park owner didn't let the cement dry fully or properly and then "crash", a broken arm and two missing teeth! Or sometimes I wish I was the rocket scientist who made $100K a year and I tripped on a bad step at NASA and lost all my marbles! When is it the guy who is being sued for a mere $2,000 dollars (or possibly portion of) in a class action suit who can't outfox the serial con person due to my own concussions? My doc and dentist fees have already surpassed this amount several times, so I have resigned to just letting the predator get my $2,000 I honestly worked for years ago as a gardener.

Rule for all would be gardeners?
    Don't do your work at any place of business that does social work? :) I heard of Bernie Madoff, fake bank call schemes, and hackers, but who makes a living suing social workers, the horse they rode on, and the greenskeeper of the complex?

Anyway, I have been reading a lot about Karma lately, and besides these awfully timed incidents, other things happened all at once. I did continue to skate, though with helmet, at the skate park when it was dark, closed, wet, and on the street in the dark. On some level, I feel like I deserve this. I have some friends who have been much safer on a skateboard and have hurt themselves much worse than some concussions and some lost teeth.

Another thing I was reading about in the book, Seat of the Soul is about the concept of forgiveness and how when Ghandi was assaulted for no reason by some thugs, he never pressed charges.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

haha yes I used to :D!

Ps pm sent too 63dot :)

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Did you ever get into the more modern flatland street skating? Man, that's fun but crazy, especially with those quiet hybrid cars out there.

Skateparks and ramps are so much safer, but my love of the grind of asphalt has made me pay dearly.

Anyway, I love the footage of Rodney Mullen, Daewon Song, and Chris Haslam.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I would look into whether the person has waived the non-disclosure agreement by suing. For example, if I sue my doctor or lawyer for malpractice, I waive my physician / patient or attorney / client privelege.

I would also look into whether the non-disclosure can be avoided as a result of improper, barred, or even illegal conduct.

(edit)

Even if the non-disclosure is valid, if you don't have a ton of assets, say to heck with it. Violate the non-disclosure, sue, and force them to assert it. What are they going to get out of it?

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

You are the hero, dude!

I have no assets, just debt from grad school.

The $2,000 dollars the plaintiff said I got illegally enriched from working for as a gardener for a non profit who allegedly didn't have GAAP perfect books is gone (paid $100 a month for maybe close to two years).

I feel terrible for the real employees who made $20K or more a year for many years. No reputable legal site covering this thinks this frivolous lawsuit will stick on every tort. I wish I could send you the legal complaint but both sides are barred from sharing info until this whole thing is settled out of court.

The likely result is that the non profit employees will be barred from working in non profits ever again, and the predator plaintiff/plaintiff predator, as the internet calls them, will walk with some of the insurance money, but nowhere close to what they are asking for.

All I have to do is simply remember the predator plaintiff at the HQ building where the people of the position of authority of the organization had their offices. I can't even begin to recall his face there, or even where or what the building looked like. Did he or others with a gripe work there? Probably, but zero recollection from my end.

I volunteered there at HQ for 3 years and not one inkling of placing the culprit at the main location I don't have any recollection of having ever been.

This is right when I had the retrograde amnesia accident, about '93 or '94 and I volunteered at the HQ location from late-'89 to around late-'92 or '93.

This is what is maddening.

Even if the other few dozen co-defendants remember the predator plaintiff, who has a famous reputation for being a con man, along with a couple of others, that may not be enough to prove anything. If every t was not crossed or i dotted, then the predator plaintiff may have dibs to the insurance monies, even I think, if he was a key financial employee.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If this jerk is coming after you, you go after them and you crucify them. If you have to you violate every non-disclosure, you attack and you get the press on your side. You rake them over the coals.

On the other hand, if they are merely after insurance company money, who cares. Those slimebags in the insurance industry deserve a good fleecing.

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

It's not really personal, even though the press and depositions are to those not in the field, but in the end, it's the insurance haggling game.

I don't know how my lawyer friends sleep with what seems to be high stress, but it all just falls off their shoulders.

One attorney summed it up like this after probably 40+ years in the field, Plaintiff: "you owe me 7 dollars" ... Defendant: "i owe you nothing" ... Plaintiff: "$3.50 sound OK?" ... Defendant: "sure" ... Plaintiff: "OK, let's call it a day" ... next case? :)