Skipping the 'S' versions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Sep 15, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I'm really happy my 24m plan aligns with the release of the iPhone 5, this way I got the 3G, 4 & 5 from the beginning and skip the 'S' incremental upgrades.

Any others work out the same way?

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I kinda forced myself into this cycle by eating the early upgrade fee this time around, but it should work out for me in the long run. Although I fear for the "S" cycles because I think many people feel the same way.

3. Boiler macrumors regular

The S cycles have actually been amazing upgrades

But the generation cycles come with exciting new designs

I eat the cost and get the newest model every 1 year

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know quite a few people with 4S' who are skipping the 5 and waiting for 5S. I think the S cycles will do just fine. Check back here around this time next year, and you will see everybody clamoring for the 5S.

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Probably right. I got the 4S and some of the features I loved about it was Siri and the point and shoot replacement camera as I take family trips a lot. At the same time I can't afford to the yearly upgrade thing like I have, and if I had to choose between the two cycles I would pick the whole numbers.

6. MonkeyDavid macrumors newbie

Odd...

One of my Apple rules is "never buy the first generation of anything." I broke it twice...once with the flat iMac (which I regretted when they quickly improved it) and before that with the original iPod (fortunately the 10gb iPod came out right after I placed my order, so I was able to cancel and change it). I think the smart people would get on the "S" cycle, to get those important little fixes instead of just being the first with the new stuff. The 3GS was much better than the 3G, and he 4S a bit better than the 4.
    But since I skipped the 4 step altogether, I admit I got my iPhone 5 order in at 12:05 am. :)

7. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

What it might turn out looking like is the whole number cycles are the "Form" releases and the "S" cycles are the "Function" cycles. So it comes down if you are either a form follows function person or vice versa.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'll just say something about this....

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock.......

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I upgrade at least one of our iPhones every year so someone in the family (typically me as I'm the one paying the bills) gets the newest iPhone. I had picked up an S3 to check it out and that will go to my oldest who thinks bigger is better (must of been talking to his mom again) when the i5 walks through the door.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I upgrade every year and sell the old to fund the new. I am a latest and greatest kind of techie when it comes to phones, nothing else though.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

Mine kind of does – oct 7th is upgrade date. Though I always get an additional 2 months on my primary line (2 months early) so next one I will be eligible in september.

12. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Any others? Yeah, probably millions of others. :rolleyes:

Either way would be fine for me but my first iPhone was the iPhone 4 so I'm coincidentally on this cycle as well.

13. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Yup, I'm on the main iPhone upgrade cycle and I'm pretty glad. The S upgrades never brought nearly as much to the table as the main upgrades. Think about it: retina, face-time, 3G, LTE, GPS, front facing camera, body redesigns....always on the main upgrades. Specs and incremental camera upgrades (which you get with the main upgrades too) on the S.

The biggest differentiator for the 4S was Siri. Think about what the 4S is missing from the 5 and its pretty obvious which 2 year cycle is better.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm still undecided. I'm one the S cycle as that's when my contract ran out with Sprint and I changed to Verizon. I can upgrade to the 5 but I'm undecided if I actually want to. Biggest reason is I want more room, 10GB of my 16GB is music and I'm cramped for space.

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Be on the S cycle if you want the improved, with issues ironed out of the same external design

Be on the front end cycle if you want to have the new form factor

16. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Well put, I definitely lean towards form, besides the whole numbers are always still amazingly fast processors and new features

17. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I'm on the S cycle by default. My 4S is my first iPhone so I'll be getting the 5S in 2013. And like others said, I like the S cycle because the S is like a cranked up version of the non S. I don't mind that the S models have the same design as the previous. What I like is the S models usually have some sort of component upgrade, and usually (at least it seems) they get a boost in performance and have new features. There is no way I would ever upgrade every year, so it looks like I'll be on the S cycle.

If you think about it, the 4S blows the 4 away in speed. So to me, I would rather constantly be on the generation that gets performance increases and gets the bugs worked out.

It doesn't bother me that S upgrades don't have any really design upgrades. The design is always going to be great, give me better internals with the S!

18. aluren macrumors 65816

The whole number cycles are always more significant and the better route to take if you are on a 24 month cycle. But I upgrade every year since I use the phone too much.

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

How so? If the S always gets upgrades how would the non S be better?
    Im not saying being on the S cycle is better, but I certainly don't think being on the non S cycle is better.
    Maybe it's just me though, it doesn't bother me that I'll be buying phones that haven't had a physical rehaul. I am keeping my 4S until the 5S so I'll be rocking my 4S hard until then. :)