Skype on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beliblis, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Beliblis macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to install Skype on my iPhone 3g. The only Skype version available in the App Store needs iOS 4.3 but the iPhone 3G only supports up to iOS 4.2.1

So I jailbroke the iPhone (redsn0w), and found an old version of Skype that should work on iOS 4.2.1

But no matter what I try, I can't get Skype onto the phone:
    1) iTunes gives me error 0xE8008001 when I try to sync the old Skype version

2) I changed the iOS systemversion.plist file following these instructions:
    http://iosdevs.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8
    Same problem...

3) I tried via iExplorer and Phone Disc – no success.

I'm generally a happy Apple user, but at the moment I'm starting to get a bit miffed...
    Anyone got any ideas? I mean it's got to be possible to somehow run Skype on an iPhone 3g, no?

2. habzu macrumors newbie

same here... nothing helps, unless you have an older version from your iTunes Folder under "iTunes Library/Mobile Application" Folder.

BUT here comes one happy message: I found an alternative :) on the appstore, the app is called "imo" and it is free (and support from iOS 3.1+) !!!
    Link: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/imo-instant-messenger/id336435697?mt=8

just load it, start, chose skype, type login and password and enjoy!

yeah, but it is Microsoft's fail, because Skype belongs to them ;) and I don't understand why so big company can neglect iphone 3G users :)

have a nice day!

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I forget where but you can change what your iPhone report its OS as so even though you have 4.2.1 the App Store will think it's 4.3.

4. habzu macrumors newbie

Belibleis reported that he tryed that already with no luck (me too) you can change it here: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

for example, change ProductBuildVersion to "8G4" and ProductVersion to "4.3.1" and reboot the phone, then iPhone report it hat 4.3.1 Firmware on it. But skype did not install :(

Another Problem is that i realized that with the IMO Messenger from iTunes one can not make Voice-Calls, only Text-Messages :(

so, still need a solution how to get Skype running on 4.2.1 Firmware :confused::mad:

5. giancarlo007 macrumors member

I had Skype on my 3G.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not at all helpful.

7. giancarlo007 macrumors member

You are right, yours is better ;)