SL 9400M accelerated onlly and not GT120 and the rest?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TwoBytes, Aug 26, 2009.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

"GPU-Accelerated Video Playback: QuickTime X, included as part of Snow Leopard, utilizes video-decoding capabilities built into the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor found in many Macs, reducing load on the system's CPU and freeing it up for other tasks." - macrumours front page.

So why does the 9400M get aid and not the GT120? I spent more on my mac thinking i'll be better off in the future as of the higher powered graphics card. Are we being screwed or have i got the wrong end of the stick? Does this mean we won't get the hardware encoding support but the lower end 9400 does.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Use of the GPU under Snow Leopard will develop I'd imagine. I'd imagine they'd go with the 9400 as it's in so many Macs at the moment. They might be selective in which ones they get working soon, but they'll likely want to cater for some for the Mac Pros and MacBook Pros.
    For QT X acceleration, i'd guess the 9400 is up to the job. I'd imagine the higher end GPUs will get utilised when the time is right.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple is a small company and has limited resources. They can't write a whole slew of drivers in a few days and have them working 100%. They most likely wanted to cover the majority and slowly roll out updates. It's not going to happen overnight.

Also, graphics cards [currently] don't do more than just display stuff on your screen. Having a higher end graphics card doesn't really give you a better picture or anything else. But if you play games, a better GPU would make the game smoother and faster, etc. So for the most of us, a higher end graphics card doesn't do anything for us besides chew up more power. I said currently, under Leopard. With SL and OpenCL, that is all going to change.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, they're not small.

5. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

easy....they ALREADY FULLY SUPPORT h.264 acceleration with the 9400m under leopard 10.5.....so why not tout it as a new feature in 10.6...
    they are NOT writing anything new for SL and videa acceleration with the 9400m.
    I have a 2009 mac mini with a 9400m and it uses almost zero cpu when playing 1080p clips...not sure what they are bringing us in SL...