Slate Aluminum Back - Striped Wear?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Has anyone found their iPhone 5 aluminum back show strange wear?

Mine looks overall really nice, no new nicks (it came with a few from Apple).

However, I keep mine in an iPod Sock (hold the laughter).

To the point, the slate back of the phone has all the socks ribs in it, like a pattern. It won't wipe off. The ribs of the iPod sock pattern can be seen in the slate back of the iPhone 5. It's not scratching or anything, it's just like you see the pattern if you have the phone at the correct angle.

Has anyone else seen this? I guess it is the metal changing color or something from the contact with another material?

wookiee2cu

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
A co-worker told me he couldn't get a finger print off the back of his. He unded up using rubbing alcohol and said it took it right off, maybe try that (at your own risk obviously).

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
someone else on here had their otterbox case leave what appears to be a permanent imprint of the back of the phone.

Brettka7

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
I used automotive waterless wash (HD Total) on the back of mine when I couldn't get marks off. Worked great! You can find Meguiar's quick detailer for $3-4 at Big Lots, that should work too.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Has anyone found their iPhone 5 aluminum back show strange wear?

Mine looks overall really nice, no new nicks (it came with a few from Apple).

However, I keep mine in an iPod Sock (hold the laughter).

To the point, the slate back of the phone has all the socks ribs in it, like a pattern. It won't wipe off. The ribs of the iPod sock pattern can be seen in the slate back of the iPhone 5. It's not scratching or anything, it's just like you see the pattern if you have the phone at the correct angle.

Has anyone else seen this? I guess it is the metal changing color or something from the contact with another material?
the sock is causing athletes iFoot

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I used quick detailer and the marks did not come off (I buy Quick Detailer like crazy. Love the stuff).

I even tried some cleaner wax (GENTLY). It didn't hurt it, but the stripes are still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.