Slate : You Should Think of the New MacBook As a Tablet

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pasadena, Mar 9, 2015.

1. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

or a laptop without a lot of peripherals. it's a LAPTOP. it runs OS X, not iOS. so, a macbook for people who want the portability of a laptop with the functionality of a laptop. :D

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yup. I said this in another thread, but I think the 12" rMB is targeted at those who require Mac OS X but want the portability/benefit of an iPad. I could never use an iPad as my primary device for the simple fact that a desktop OS is best for how I work, but I also don't need things that the Pro/Air offers. So this new rMB will be perfect for my needs.

4. pasadena thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I think you missed my point :)

To me, this is the best of both worlds, and the author explains it better than I can.

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i hear u, really. just...so much whining on the forums here, am surprised. it is exactly what it is, and will suit some people...and not others. like any other device...

6. pasadena thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Absolutely. One device can't suit everybody. I get the disappointment, though.

That's not much different than any other Apple launch. People hope for something that will fit them like it was made for them alone, and when that doesn't happen, they feel betrayed. We were all so convinced we would see a retina macbook air - e.g. with the same exact usage as the current one, maybe even closer to the MBP, that we have trouble fitting this one in.

We were expecting (and wanting) a full computer for classic computer usage. We didn't get that.

I'm lucky - it fits my usage and they traded off things I don't use or don't really care about. So much that I can adapt my expectations. Could have been the other way around.

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Mm-hmm. It's going to be great for people like us.

8. pasadena thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Yep :)

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Fine, it's an ipad alternative. I wouldn't mind that comparison if the entry-level model wasn't over twice the price as the entry-level ipad air 2.

It's a laptop aimed at people that want form over function. If you want function and almost as much form, you get the macbook pro 13.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree that it does seem like an iPad replacement for those wanting full OS X on the go. Looks like those hoping for OS X on iPad can forget about that for a while.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't mind that comparison, but then I use my iPad Mini with a ClamCase Pro and do computer things with it and not so much tablet things. The new MacBook is perfect for me.

12. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If you want a tablet, you should get an 11-inch MacBook Air for $200-400 cheaper.

The 11-inch Air weighs only 0.38 lbs more, and has the same battery life. It also has a much better processor.

So the only thing an extra few hundred dollars gets you is a retina display (which may be worth it) and a slight larger display.

13. pasadena thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasadena

And 0.38lbs less, a 16:10 ratio and a much better trackpad if we believe the first hands-on reviews. As for the processor, I'll wait for the real reviews. One of them is probably enough for my usage and the rest of the criteria make up for it. All of this being exactly the whole point of this article.

14. paolo- macrumors 6502a

It seems to me like a response to the Microsoft Surface and other convertible laptops. However, the segregation of iOS and Mac OS is getting in the way.

It actually reminds me a lot of the original macbook air launch in 2008. It's a computer that makes sense for very few people. Need a computer with a keyboard that's incredibly light because you're always on the go? There it is, sacrifices abound.

But going from a 5 pounds computer (old plastic macbook and original aluminium 13" macbook /pro) to a 3 pound laptop was a big jump. Going from 2.38 pounds (11" MBA) or 2.96 pounds (13" MBA) to 2.03 pounds on the 12" MB and a whopping 4 millimetres thinner at the cost useable connectivity seems iffy. Again, it's a rev 1 product and like the original MBA it doesn't make sense yet. Once the price drops significantly and the adaptors get figured out, I can see this taking over the market.

I'd love to see a USB type-C charging cable with a pass-through right on it. So, the plug would have the connector on one end to charge the computer but you could also plug something into the connector while charging.

15. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

OK, I see the ipad tablet function for people who hate tablets....

Why not put an LTE radio in it like the ipad? I use that unction on my ipad air all the time when traveling. Seems like an oversight, or am I just supposed to tether to my iphone?

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yup, Apple wants you to use the iPhone hotspot feature on your Mac. I don't think they will ever include LTE connectivity on any Mac.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

No. Why? Because a tablet does not have the same software as a computer. There is a huge difference. Plus, you have a full size keyboard.

Apples and Oranges. Apples and Oranges...