"Slaves [that built the White House] were well fed and had decent lodgings"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 27, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I have sometimes been frustrated by my inability to communicate to younger (under 40 say) people how some older people (over 60 say) people think about race in America. Thankfully, Bill O'Reilly does a wonderful job of explaining it in just a couple of minutes. Now, many of you all will have seen Michelle Obama's uplifting speech at the 2016 DNC, and, O'Reilly acknowledges that right here in a little history lesson:

I'm sure many people will have already criticized O'Reilly, and many people will have already criticized the criticizers for being negative, politically correct, "victims". The only thing I would add is, that, yes, there are a lot of older people out there who think this way, but, probably don't acknowledge it around their children and grandchildren. But, they do vote.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well to be fair slaves only half built it. Unless we still had slaves in '48.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Slaves might have done the heavy lifting but skilled white artisans did all the carpentry, joinery, and masonry work. Slaves were not permitted to hold those kind of jobs.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well as long as they weren't homeless and starving than everything was okay. :rolleyes:

The man is totally tone deaf.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

There isn't a facepalm big enough...

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What part of my statement is factually inaccurate?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not sure this is a huge issue. They say the same at George Washingtons house if you ask how the slaves were kept.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Without air conditioning, central heating and pesticides to kill mosquitoes, I really can't imagine DC was hospitable for anybody. Ugh.

9. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Umm, you don't get how that comment sounds racist? "Sure, they may have done some heavy lifting, but skilled white artisans..." *shudder* You really don't hear yourself, do you?

My question - did slaves build the white house both times? (guessing it likely as it was still long before slavery was repealed when it was burnt down).

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/british-troops-set-fire-to-the-white-house

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

O'Reilly is still being obtuse when making his comment, which comes across as supporting a despicable society condoning and using the very antithesis for which its Constitution and Bill of Rights stand for.

The past can be vile, there are ways to make the future legitimately better in the present.

And I say that, having ancestry of people who were made slaves.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Chris Matthews has been doing segments on Philadelphia all week which have been quite good and interesting. Last night was about Independence Hall. I learned that not only was it hot (of course) when they were meeting over the Declaration of Independence, but that because they were worried about spies finding out what they were up to, the windows had been boarded up, and because back in that day a shirt even was considered an undergarment, they were in there in summer in jackets! :eek:

Never thought about that before. I don't know how people managed the summer heat in the clothing style of the day. I wouldn't have been able to handle that.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

Not that is makes a difference on the slavery question, but repulsive ***hole O'Reilly is also a liar.

[​IMG]

Source. (via)

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

WOW! Now it is no longer politically-correct to mention verified historical facts because they make some people uncomfortable! Christ, what is wrong with you people?

No, that comment doesn't sound racist. Slaves were
    not permitted to learn skilled trades; only white people could learn a trade. In fact, in some states it was illegal to educate your slaves. Now grab a history book and go back to your safe space. God, you precious fragile snowflakes make me weep for the future of our nation.

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Slaves were rather expensive commodities, weren't they? I'm sure feeding and housing them properly was a commercial decision rather than a humanitarian one.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that has been proven many times over.

16. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

On this topic and other sensitive ones, you need to be cautious about not only what but how you say things. How you said that suggested that you were minimizing the contribution that the slaves made to the construction of the white house, while highlighting that the whites were skilled tradesmen, that their contribution was greater.
    You may have meant nothing by it, but your words were suggestive.
    Everyone knows that the slaves' masters tried to keep the slaves from literacy so they couldn't communicate or learn how wrongly they were being treated.

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Can someone provide a reference on slaves not being permitted to learn a skilled trade?

Yes, literacy was widely prohibited, but it's also not necessarily a pre-requisite for skilled trade. There's plenty of information out there about slaves serving as jockeys and horse trainers-in fact former slaves dominated horse racing for many years after abolition-and those are not exactly "dumb" jobs.

I've never seen anything to indicate that slaves were not permitted to learn masonry, plaster work, or name your other skilled trade of the day. The claim was made in this thread-let's see some facts to back it up.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well I'm not sure about the skilled trades bit, but I was more shocked at the obtuse remarks, which were on par with O'Riley's. Do you understand why some may be upset with how O'Riley presented the issue?

To be fair you didn't provide a source to back this up; but since you claim it's "verified historical facts" you should be able to find it and post it in this thread... there's no safe space when it comes to facts. The indignation you espouse over the racist label applied to your words appear disingenuous to me as you were equally obtuse to the issue of the inhumane practice of slavery (even if they were fed and housed).

I'm not so sure about the greater/lesser part of aaronvan's words but what he and DrewDaHilp1 posted (while perhaps factual) did not reflect on O'Riley's statement and did appear to be an attempt to downplay the the fact that the Whitehouse; the very house of the "leader of the free world" (as 'Murican's like to call their President) was built by slaves... in the land of the free.