Sled Dog Killing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

That's horrendous. Some people have ugly hearts.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's sick, and it's wrong, but I have a feeling it's considered legal. Sled dog's as beautiful and cuddly as they look, are not pets. They are pack animals and as such I fear are not afforded the same protection we offer our pets.

It needs changing.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I would assume you are a vegetarian, or more appropriately a vegan?

While I'm against the killings of dogs because they're no longer needed or wanted. There is a frankly illogical disconnect in peoples heads about how we treat "pet" animals and animals in general.

If you wan't to advocate against this sort of thing consider the reason you're doing it for. Is it because sled dogs are cute and cuddly and you think of them as "pets". Or because you're against the killing of all work animals (like milk cows, and hens) when they are no longer considered useful.

Food for thought.

"Because they're cute" is not actually a reasoned argument.

5. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

What the are you even going on about? I just find it repulsive they'd slit their throats instead of, at the very least, putting them down like sane people do. Though I'm against what they're doing entirely. And it isn't any of your business how I feel in regards to these acts and it doesn't change anything. So get off your pedestal.

"I would assume..."

^ ^ ^

Get over yourself.

And I wasn't arguing over anything or attempting to start a debate. You're the one that started something from nothing.

Just because your opinion does not parallel with mine doesn't suddenly and magically invalidate my feelings. I don't live in your bubble.

And if you want to begin any sort of debate, you don't begin it by being condescending and disrespectful.

6. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Most people don't agree with how (farm) animals are treated, but boy, don't you dare talk to them about eating no more bacon/steak/etc.! It must be the quickest way to "offend" them. :rolleyes:

Somebody's butthurt! You might want to reconsider who's living in a bubble.

7. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Actually I just realized he quoted the wrong person. Your added comment really is unnecessary, though. Seriously.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

New law is not nearly strong enough, IMO. Question is, who to blame? Owner for ordering the slaughter? Employee (who has now received compensation for post-traumatic stress) for carrying it out? The company is now in the hands of a charity so that's a dead end.

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I blame both although maybe a tad bit more blame on the owner, because the employee was stupid enough to carry it out instead of trying to put a stop to it at the beginning, and the owner for even having that idea and plan in the first place.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

the seperation is the key here. These are work animals and more than likely not make very good house pets. that would probaly be the worst thing for them as they spend the majority of their lives outside and worked, not parking their butts on the couch waiting for someone to get home so they can wag their tail, go out side to empty their bladder and bowels and go back inside the house only to be told to go lay down.

I am a dog lover but there is a huge difference between a working dog and a domesticated dog.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

While I agree, I think cruelty can apply to both with an equal measure. The way these dogs were killed was cruel and we would not want livestock to be killed in such a manner either. If only we treated all animals with the due consideration we apply to our pets and other humans.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Whatever. Many of us get our food from local farms. That is the way to remedy the factory farming problem. And before you even say it, yes- I've killed animals for food with my own hands and would/will do it again.

Yes, it's you.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

do you eat fish? think about how a fish is killed.
    ever boil a live lobster, crab or other shell fish. not a good way to go.

These people see it as a norm, just like many people see taking their pet to the vet to be put down.

I am sure there will be a new law that will force these people to implement some regulated system that will financially drive them out of business.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

yes and no.
    no, for that reason as well as I'm not a huge fan of shellfish in general.

Not likely.

What was more disturbing to me was the cack-handed way it handled rather than the actual putting down itself. At least with livestock its usually done in a humane way but this appears to be done by someone who had no idea what they were doing, although I gather this practice is quite widespread in the industry. Personally, I would not support such an activity (recreational dog sledding) in the first place.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Dogs have formed a special bond with humans, therefore in the western mind set it is seen as cruel to kill them.

Korea they eat them.:cool:

But you find very few western people who will eat any dog, except for a hot one.:D

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    That is enraging. I can't believe this happened in Canada.

Even in China now they go crazy if they hear or see about a dog being killed needlessly (and China is known for eating dog in some provinces). In fact there's a witchhunt in China at the moment after a couple of 18/19 year olds killed a dog apparently for fun, cut its head off then posted pictures on the internet.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seafood is disgusting, especially shellfish.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's bland protein, that has to be served with some kind of "cover" to give it taste.

Why bother?

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You've never had a perfectly boiled and buttered lobster or sushi/sashimi apparently.

20. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

tunasteak isn't that bad either :D

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I live in Chicago, home to many of the best chefs in the country. I've tried the horrible stuff, and promptly spent two entire days vomiting and ****ing. No thanks.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah, shellfish makes me nauseated too. I've tried off and on for 30 years now but I just can't do it. Took me a long time to enjoy fish but now I'm OK with it.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Try it without the butter. :)

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Crab legs are good without butter. Also, the crab cakes at a local mom and pop restaurant that used to be in my town was delicious and it was very lightly seasoned. They would use big chunks of crab meat being held together by egg whites, very little old bay on top of a small topping of mayo. Once you got passed the mayo topping, the rest of the crab cake was still delicious and the only thing you tasted was the crab. Still makes me sad that they closed. Best service I have ever had( and still is).

Anyway, I am all for humane ways of killing animals and seafood we eat. And if and only if the sled dogs couldn't be given good homes to retire, could I be ok with humanely putting them down. But, the method of slitting their throats is not ok.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I was serious. I've gotten violently ill from shellfish twice. Now, I can't even smell it without getting nauseous.