Sleep/shutting down/Airport problems after installing HDD in place of Superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The ORly owl, Feb 12, 2012.

1. The ORly owl macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently replaced my original HDD that came with the MBP with a 120Go SSD. I put the SSD where the system disk rests and bought an Optibay-like caddy to keep the HDD in the Superdrive emplacement, like many people do.

After doing so, I started having Wi-Fi problems. Sometimes, the connection would just stop working while still be shown as "activated". The only way to get the connection back was to reboot the Mac. This particular problem happened more and more frequently, to the point of the impossibility to use Internet for more than 10mn.
    Also, when clicking the "Shut down" option from the Apple menu, the Mac would instantly reboot instead of staying off. Putting it to sleep by closing the lid of via the Apple menu was also impossible.

I re-opened my Mac and reinstalled the Superdrive in its original emplacement and everything seems to work fine. But I would really like having the HDD on-board since it holds my entire iTunes + iPhoto libraries and I never use the Superdrive anyway.

So, what could possibly cause these problems ? :(

2. The ORly owl thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I don't see how it is related to your drive swapping, more a configuration and/or ongoing bug with lion. If you have an apple wifi device check into the other thread I started on the similar wifi issue you have, i.e. just lock down the auto channel selection to a #.

Other than that there are dozens of wifi problem threads to read through.

4. The ORly owl thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that the problem appeared with the HDD swap and disappeared when I removed it. So it's obviously related to it, even if that sounds strange. I really can't see how a disk which doesn't even hold system files could have an effect on a wireless card. :confused:

Thinking of it, could it be a power issue ?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This sounds like your optibay drive is causing interference with your wireless card. Which MacBook Pro do you have?

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Maybe you are on to something. The wireless card on mine is right next to / on top of the optical drive. Maybe something was disturbed in installation?

7. The ORly owl thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 15" mid-2010, the one with the 256MB video card.
    The Wi-Fi card is indeed just next/above the superdrive emplacement, it would explain the Airport crashes.
    But the sleep/shutdown problem is still here. Maybe the hard disk itself is at fault. I'd like to try with another one but I don't have one :(

8. nunoabsilva macrumors member

nunoabsilva

check if you don't have any screw from the optibay down the wifi flat cable

9. The ORly owl thread starter macrumors newbie

"Solved" the problem by putting the SSD in the Superdrive emplacement and the HDD in the normal emplacement. I lost the hibernation function but that doesn't bother me that much.