Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucarelli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Montreal, Canada
I have Panther installed on iMac G4. Everytime I put it to sleep the screen turns dark the light on the LCD turns on, I hear the hard drive stop spinning for about 2 seconds then it turnes back on. I will not sleep at all. I've set energy saving to sleep hardrive (15 Minutes) and display (6 Minutes) . I've a screensaver that turns on after (3 minutes). I've tried using the sleep command in the apple menu as well as the power button sleep option. I've reset the nvram... nothing
created new user and put to sleep... nothing. Please help.:confused:

lucarelli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Yes no problem with Jag and no apps running. Weird have no clue at all why. Even ran disk utility" repair permissions"
Don't know if it's a bug in Panther!!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yeah, possibly....
Maybe other readers here have the same problem. Or the same iMac.
Maybe if you could specify which iMac G4 exactly (speed, optical drive, RAM etc.) you have, maybe others with the same iMac can help.

Good luck.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I had similar problems a few times with Jag. Try rebooting and see if it helps - that was the only way I could fix it.

Dan

lucarelli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Montreal, Canada
I tried rebooting many times and nothing.
I was hoping that this was a bug in Panther
that other people might have. This is the first time that I've had a problem that I
couldn't solve. I don't know if it as something to do with the fact that it's not the retail version of Panther but a download build of 7b85. My setup for other iMac's out there is as follows......
iMac G4 1ghz 17inch with Superdrive
with 768 MB DDR
:confused:

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I have had the same problems with my dual g5. It will not go to sleep. After hitting sleep, the fans will wirl and it will come back on

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
I had/have the same problem with my Dualie G5. I fixed it in Jaguar by altering the Processor Performance in Energy Saver (in Options).

But now that I have Panther on the machine, it won't go to sleep. This sucks and any help would be great. Thanks.

mediamyrmaid

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2003
I have a dual 1.25 G4 running Panther 1.3.1 and I had the same problem -- it would sleep for one second then immediately wake up. This did not happen when I was running Jaguar last week.

But I just fixed it: I unplugged my USB scanner (UMAX astranet e4570). It sleeps just fine now.

Good luck. Hope this helps someone!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
If you are using a downloaded version of Panther instead of the retail version then I don't see how you can be complaining about a bug since those pre-release versions were not meant to be someone's main OS, but as a way to work the bugs out before it was released to retail.

As for sleeping, I have never had a problem putting my PowerBook to sleep. The only thing that would wake it up from sleep while the lid is closed is if I were to plug an external device into it while getting ready to open it up and wake it from sleep. I guess the USB/Firewire ports are auto sensing even when it is asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.