Slick Willy -- asset or baggage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Anuba, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I watched a few clips of Bill Clinton speaking at a rally in Florida yesterday, and he was on fire. It was an extremely well delivered and informative speech, and he did what nobody else has done so far and explained the bailout in terms that even Joe Sixpack could understand.

Earlier this year, during the primaries, there was sort of a consensus that Clinton was a problem -- a loose cannon who embarrassed Hillary on a frequent basis, a bad 90's flashback who by association made her look like an echo of the past.

Now that all the focus has shifted to the economy, it looked like people were suddenly pretty damn interested in what he had to say. Do you think that he's becoming a valuable asset to the Obama campaign again, as a symbol of the glory days when the economy was strong, or is he still better off in a museum?

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I think he could be a big asset to the Obama campaign, actually. He's inspirational when he wants to be and that could win a lot of votes.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course he would be an asset. He needs to be doing more of this. It disgusts me that neither Bill nor Hillary have been fighting harder. It's clear to me from their behavior that a lot of us were right about the Clintons all along.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Now that Hilary isn't in the race, I think he's an asset to Obama. Bill is a powerful orator and one who is able to cut through political bs and as you say, make things understandable.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

A major asset. Too bad he had to campaign for Hilary and thus is somewhat tainted when having to speak for Obama.

Aaaah, the good old days. :p

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

To be fair, I think the Clintons have been doing a fair bit of campaigning for Obama, however they are doing most of it (rightly so) in swing states and the national media doesn't seem to bother with their agendas or reporting on what they're doing since their names aren't on the ticket for Election day.

Neither you, nor I live in a swing state and thus tend to be insulated a bit more from the political news of what's going on in the swing states.

Could they be doing more, maybe, but how much are the other primary candidates doing? The Clintons have already surpassed everything done by most of the other primary opponents on both sides and seem to still be campaigning hard for Obama.

Of course had she dropped out of the primaries earlier, no one would be expecting this much out of them so in a way it's their own fault that we expect so much of them.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...yeah, I haven't heard a peep since the convention. Perhaps you're right.

8. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

Maybe it's better for the campaign right now if Hillary takes the back seat and lets Bill handle most of the campaigning? I think it's come to a point where the staunchest Hillary supporters (who originally said they wouldn't vote for Obama out of pure spite) have started to get with the program and I don't think it's a good time to remind them of what they could've had.

The reason I asked is that I'm not American so I don't know what the feelings are about the Clintons. Over here in Europe, pretty much everyone loved the guy and shrugged off the whole Lewinsky thing. But a lot of Americans seem to want to throw up whenever his name is mentioned. Some of them are democrats, too. As for the republicans, I don't know if they hate him because they actually think that 1993-2000 were god awful years of misery, or because he was so good it annoys the hell out of them.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I know that she went out and did some campaigning shortly after Palin was announced, and he has been making the rounds, even saw him on the Daily Show last week.

I just think their campaigning tends to hit more local news since the national media is more focused on the candidates themselves.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you heard/read Obama's speech from Reno on Tuesday? I thought it achieved the same goal you mention above, though it did not get any press coverage that I saw. (Some of the themes were repeated in his address to the Senate, but it was much briefer). For example, I finally understood why raising the FDIC limit mattered.

http://speeches.demconwatchblog.com/2008/09/barack-obamas-speech-in-reno-nv.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/01/the-great-communicator_n_130760.html

B

11. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

You've hit the nail on the head with this observation. Also, she is my senator and with so much at stake I would rather have her in the senate right now doing what I elected her to do.

With the economic situation, Bill is the perfect person to be out there for Obama. He reminds people of a time when things were good, and he's very good at explaining economics in layman terms. I can't speak for Republicans, but he kind of whimped out on a few key issues when he was in office. The Lewinsky thing was a bit embarrassing, but more importantly lead to him being held hostage for the sake of his wife's campaign. It left a bad taste in the mouth of some of his supporters. When you see him in person, though, due to his charisma, that bad taste goes right out the window.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're not kidding! :D

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He is. As is Hillary. As I posted in another thread, she actually went off because someone tried to put her in some even with Palin a few weeks ago. She bailed out of it when she found out Palin was invited as a fellow speaker. And this was before the bad interviews with Couric and Gibson. As noted, the media isn't covering it much for some reason. Bill has been all over the place trying to defend himself and Obama. Media just isn't covering it. Too much of a controversy to make it seem like it's still an issue/not really as interesting as one of the candidates themselves saying or doing something stupid, as McCain and Palin have been.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/r...ns-to-start-campaigning-for-obama-958889.html

15. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hillary now realizes that she won't be VP, right?

It's good that they're doing this for party support.

PS: I disagree with those who say Hilary shouldn't be campaigning right now, and that it should be mostly left to Bill.

Hillary should come out in order to be a huge contrast to Palin, who is just incompetent. The first female American Vice President shouldn't be Palin. It's one thing for women to vote for "girl power", but Palin isn't the way to go. She's an embarrassment, and Hilary can be useful in showing people this.

17. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

It's all about timing. I think it was wise to put Hillary on ice for a while, but now is the perfect time to roll her out... now they can use her as a symbol of unity in crisis AND a stark contrast to Palin. They can't cry sexism, which allows Hillary to go for the throat.

The Clintons are good for the experience angle as well. You'd be hard pressed to find two people more experienced than the Clintons, and not only did Obama beat the Clintons, they're now campaigning for him as well.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Good point. And overall, Obama could use this help, in spite of the fact that he's ahead. Now is not the time to coast on a lead; now is the time to pour it on.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is the important part. It's looking more and more like Obama doesn't really need much more help from the Democratic establishment to win the POTUS seat.

What will really help him; however, is to have broad Democratic majorities in Congress.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It looks increasingly likely that the Democrats will get to the magic number of 60 senators, which will let Obama really get things done, and get them done without Republican-desired loopholes and corporate welfare.

21. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

Actually... scratch that, I'm still on the fence about Hillary.

IMO, both the Clintons are better speakers than Obama, but Bill isn't a problem because he's had his 8 years. But Hillary... I dunno, I just watched a few of her speeches, including some recent ones at small venues, and... she's just too damn good. There seems to be an awful lot of these "McCain 2008 -- Hillary 2012"-people out there. Hillary's involvement could backfire. Maybe the campaign should just sit still in the boat at this point.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure, if by "increasingly" you mean "moved from near zero to an outside chance if everything continues to break their way over the next 4 weeks". ;)

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's not as far off as you think.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/ has been tracking the Senate races, and the Democrats are leading in most races. Current projects put them at 59-41. One seat going the Dems way is not "an outside chance." ;)

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I expect Leiberman to become a Republican after election day.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You'll need 61 seats to counter the Lieberman effect.

And you're right, the chances have improved. But it's still more likely than not that the Democrats will not quite get there. But then, I would have said the same thing about picking up a majority in the Senate at this time two years ago.