Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HitmanX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
In the past few days I have noticed when I try to use the "Slide To Unlock" bar to access my phone or answer calls, sometimes it would have a big delay and not show the animation and sometimes not work at all! When it would not work I would press the button at the top and try again. I find this very anoying and I was wondering if anyone else was having these kind of problems? Thanks

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
In the past few days I have noticed when I try to use the "Slide To Unlock" bar to access my phone or answer calls, sometimes it would have a big delay and not show the animation and sometimes not work at all! When it would not work I would press the button at the top and try again. I find this very anoying and I was wondering if anyone else was having these kind of problems? Thanks
once or twice, but have it in the car hooked to mt bluetooth so really never touch it....

havok5178

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Palm Beach
Turn Power Off

I've been using my iPhone for about a week now and I've noticed quite a few bugs. Although I wouldn't really call most of them bugs. My opinion is that since you never really close a program, you just "minimize" it, for lack of a better term, eventually you bog the system down.

I've read anecdotes of people complaining that they were watching Lost and talking on the phone and had 5 web pages open, and couldn't figure out why it became unresponsive.

I had this slider problem too, and my best advice is to power down the iPhone every couple of days and restart it, much like you'd do with your home computer. From what I've read, and from personal experience, this seems to solve 99% of the problems. It would also help to remember that while this is an amazing phone/ipod, it is not a full fledged computer and thus, does have limitations. Remembering that will stave off loads of frustration.

S.

HitmanX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
ya a simple power down and power back up fixed the problem. But its still anoying when you are not able to answer a phone call

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
ya a simple power down and power back up fixed the problem. But its still anoying when you are not able to answer a phone call

I found that when I was at the unlock screen and it was being unresponsive like that, I would slide my finger across the slider and hit the home button. That would usually work to get it to the next screen.

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I've been using my iPhone for about a week now and I've noticed quite a few bugs. Although I wouldn't really call most of them bugs. My opinion is that since you never really close a program, you just "minimize" it, for lack of a better term, eventually you bog the system down.

I've read anecdotes of people complaining that they were watching Lost and talking on the phone and had 5 web pages open, and couldn't figure out why it became unresponsive.

I had this slider problem too, and my best advice is to power down the iPhone every couple of days and restart it, much like you'd do with your home computer. From what I've read, and from personal experience, this seems to solve 99% of the problems. It would also help to remember that while this is an amazing phone/ipod, it is not a full fledged computer and thus, does have limitations. Remembering that will stave off loads of frustration.

S.
i agree with that i think alot of people want it to do what a MAC or PC does. i think all we need now is i a cd burner built in. haha LOL.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've had this too. I think it's either the memory being full or the CPU is being used by something else (maybe web pages in Safari). A reboot fixed it though.

rriggs

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
I've had this too. I think it's either the memory being full or the CPU is being used by something else (maybe web pages in Safari). A reboot fixed it though.

yes, i'm thinking there is something that randomly gets hung up and eats the CPU causing one of those days where the battery is empty before leaving work!

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I had a similar problem. Someone called me, I went to "slide to answer" and nothing happened. The whole thing just was unresponsive and I had to restart it to get it to work.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Even more annoying when you set your phone for your alarm in the morning and the onscreen snooze button is not responsive at all and the alarm won't stop. So then I tried to swipe the phone to get the alarm to shut off and the slide bar didn't move.

HitmanX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Seems like a pretty common problem. I hope apple tweaks the bar in the 1.1 firmware update. There must be a way to some how refresh the cache or something, for that particular thing. Then again I could be talking out of my ass, lol. Come on :apple: this is an important bug fix!

sbrownla

macrumors regular
May 28, 2007
Arizona
funny...

It's a phone that runs applications, so you have to expect that the ram is going to get clogged.

The Phone application itself is usually the most resource intensive program that any smartphone runs.

Welcome to the SmartPhone world.

Windows Mobiles do it, Symbians do it, and so do iPhones.

kilana

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
Turn iPhone On...then Off...

While this process works well, it can become quite annoying. But then again, it only takes a few seconds to "reboot" every few days, maybe even weeks for some. I can live with that....but I do hope Apple can come up with a fix for this, as well as other bugs....SOON.

fozo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I have the same issue. Also rebooted but still didn't make this go away. Any other suggestion?

Kurt Hustle

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
I found that when I was at the unlock screen and it was being unresponsive like that, I would slide my finger across the slider and hit the home button. That would usually work to get it to the next screen.

My iPhone just started doing this today. Slider is unresponsive when unlocking and when i powered down. I also have been hitting home key to work around it. A restart seemed to fix it for now..hope it doesnt happen again

bennybeige

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I have the same issue. Also rebooted but still didn't make this go away. Any other suggestion?

Rebooting doesn't make the problem go away for me either.

There is always a delay of a second or two before the slider detects my finger.

Do you think it should go back to Apple for a warranty repair?

Juno Blaster

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Even more annoying when you set your phone for your alarm in the morning and the onscreen snooze button is not responsive at all and the alarm won't stop. So then I tried to swipe the phone to get the alarm to shut off and the slide bar didn't move.

For me that would be a feature! Find it impossible to get out of bed in the mornings... :eek:

I have had this problem before (last night was the most recent occurrence) leading to missed calls. Slightly annoying. But I then just pressed the lock/unlock button a few times and the screen started to work properly again. Hopefully after updating today it won't continue to happen.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Just visual?

While I've had the 'problem' of the slider bar not animating right, it's always detected the gesture I was doing.

Which is to say ... even though the graphic may not move (for a split second) the phone still unlocks, and the call still gets answered.

That's been my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.