Slightly Odd Apple Keyboard Layout—How to fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dulcimer, May 13, 2013.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I recently purchased the Apple Wired Keyboard. It is great except I cannot figure out why the layout does not match what is printed on the actual keys.

On keyboard viewer:

Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 11.19.18 PM.png

As you can see, the colon and semicolon are on separate keys. As such, I cannot type apostrophes now; usually, I would hit what is now the colon key to type an apostrophe. Any idea on a fix? I have English set as the input language.

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Take a pic of your keyboard's layout and post the model number.

3. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Model No. A1243

Here is a pic of the keyboard:
    IMG_0081 - Version 2.jpg

As you can see, the layout on the keyboard viewer does not match what it should be. It seems like the keyboard is set on some Japanese layout...

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

In system preferences, go to language and text, input sources, and select US as input language. Remove the checkmarks anywhere else.

Attached Files:

5. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

It doesn't seem to work. Looks like the problem has to do with the type of keyboard (ANSI, ISO, or JIS). My keyboard has the latter setup. Unfortunately, I cannot change this since "Change Keyboard Type" under keyboard preferences is not visible. Deleting the com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file didn't work either. Why does it have to be so difficult to do this, I don't know...

I read on some other site about a guy with my exact same problem. He exchanged his for a new one and it worked properly. Seems like this is a hardware and software issue. Hardware because it's being read as a JIS keyboard and software since OS X won't allow me to change the keyboard type.

Thanks anyway.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Try running keyboard setup in terminal:

sudo open /System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/MacOS/KeyboardSetupAssistant

7. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Yes, I tried to run that several times using both Terminal and by finding it in the filesystem. It just quits automatically. And in terminal, it says that there is no unknown device connected -terminating.

8. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Last suggestion. Try an SMC/PRAM reset.

If it still doesn't work, get the keyboard replaced.

9. Dulcimer, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I got the keyboard replaced before doing this, but I don't think it would've done anything because the other guy who went through the same thing as me did the same and still couldn't get his keyboard to work properly afterwards.

My new keyboard works flawlessly—typing on it right now and it feels great! The layout is the proper ANSI. It definitely seems like there's some problem with some of the identifiers in the Apple keyboards that's messing up how they're recognized, although it is a rare issue. Furthermore, Apple should give users control over the keyboard layout for Apple keyboards, as theirs seem to do it automatically with no user control.

I want to thank you for trying to help me every step of the way, adnbek!