Slim and fit or anorexic? Discussion from the Fitness Magazine news thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OllyW, Mar 19, 2015.

1. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

2. CFreymarc Suspended

Give that girl a sandwich. Better two sandwiches so she can eat on every arm upswing to her face. I mean, you can see her ribs. That is not fitness, that is borderline anorexia.

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Yes it is "fitness". Most elite runners have her body type. Unless the person is some body builder there's no reason for someone modeling on the cover of a fitness magazine to look like they eat a boat load of pork. :)

4. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

5. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I don't know where you are from but here in Amsterdam there are many women that look like that and I can assure you that they eat and drink like normal people do.

6. atlatnesiti, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

No, she looks like she wants real watch, not "smart" crap that will become irrelevant next year, she wants timekeeping piece that will last for the next 10 years at least, she wants Swiss build watch.
    Btw; Who really needs yet another Fitbit built in their watch..?
    Doesn't health App tells you all anyway.?!
    I rather have Citizen proximity - solar powered, Bluetooth for notifications and precise time keeping synced to iPhone :)
    ... and it looks like a watch ;)

7. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

8. CFreymarc Suspended

She is still underweight.

9. QCassidy352, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

To be fair, I'm guessing that those complaining about her being too thin are from America and we here in America aren't used to woman who are actually completely healthy instead of being overweight or chunky in some way.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Kate Is a fashion model. She does not have the body of an elite runner, while elite runners are skinny, they have way more muscle. Big difference between a gym body, and that of an elite runner.

----------

My experience from Amsterdam is that you are more likely to get the munchies there :p

12. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I'm not at all surprised by their comment. We as a society have gotten so far and so used to seeing fat people that we don't even know what fitness looks like anymore. Back in my day seeing ribs just meant you had a low body fat percentage. These days "give that girl a sandwich!"

13. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

She's an anorectic model, not an athlete, however you'd like to see it.

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I'm kind of saddened by all the skinny-shaming posts in this thread. :(

15. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

how do you know? did you weigh her? If so,I would like to weigh her too just to be sure :)

----------

I'm not surprised that you say this, as you are from Texas...

16. Tech198 macrumors G4

ehhe... I'm sure you would...

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I haven't read them yet but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't have a clue what a healthy normal person is supposed to look like. I'm overweight and have been for a long time. A majority of adults in my country are. Media is brimming with good looking people, some under a healthy weight , some just on the lower end of a healthy bmi.

18. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

Not sexy

Ribs sticking out are not sexy. Sunken eyes are not sexy. A lack of adipose reserves causing muscle tissue catabolism is not sexy.

Sexiness is a metric of reproductive fitness. A woman who isn't processing enough nourishment for herself is unlikely to produce a healthy, normal weight baby, and might not even survive a pregnancy. Also, if the woman's anorexic condition is due to a genetic defect, then that defect might be passed on to any kid surviving childbirth. If the condition is due mostly to a psychological problem, then any kids might be pressured by their mom to exhibit the same maladaptive behavior.

19. Keirasplace macrumors 68040

Right.. I think you have to look at a photo of a true anorexic before saying that again. As for sexyness, it is in the eye of the beholder; I'll be the judge of that thank you... And yes, that means I'm partial to both genders if anyone cares ;-).

20. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

Sunken eyes? Really?

And odds are her ribs actually stuck out a lot more and it was photoshopped to look "healthy". Which it does. If you think those ribs are unattractive, the problem is with you and your excuses for all the over-eaters around you.

Let me ask you this, would you or anyone in your family be comfortable posing like that or are you too ashamed of the conditions of your bodies?

All true, but if you're applying that to the model in this (heavily photoshopped) picture it says more about you trying to justify your third hunk of cake last night than about anything relevant to this thread. When everyone around you is morbidly obese, it makes it a lot easier to fool yourself into thinking you're not as fat as you really are.

21. CFreymarc, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

CFreymarc Suspended

It is called free speech guy. IMO, she demonstrates an very unhealthy figure that does not lead to overall health. The magazine is called "Fitness" and not "Runner" nor "Anorexia Today."

----------

I have a lot of experience in the fashion scene and with wearable electronics finally taking hold in consumer, I'm getting called to head back into the Garment District in New York. After FitBit took off, every major brand is looking on some way to have their garments sync up to a mobile device.

These meetings are such a culture gap. One side, all style and looks. Other side classic Silicon Valley engineering. Typically the Industrial Design firm fills the gap. It is worst than the old "engineering vs. marketing" you have in local companies. Last year, a handful were not receptive of my opinion that the girls they had for one spread that ran last fall were too thin, too runway, too high fashion and I recommended they work with fitness models. The good ones that can deal with some face loss are calling back and we have another season to run.

Supposedly the new Zoolander movie will have Derek Zoolander and Hansel get totally lost in wearable technology with a LOT of product placement of wearable devices. We'll see if any of my code makes the big screen.

22. HenryDJP, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015

HenryDJP macrumors 603

There's no such thing as an "anorexic model" unless that model is doing that by choice behind the scenes. Stop making stuff up as you go along just because you don't know. Models in general are lower in weight than the average joe. They are generally tall and thin. That's the business. Too bad you can't see that.

23. Bollockser, Mar 20, 2015

Bollockser macrumors regular

All of you disdaining this fit attractive woman are the reason why America is mainly a bunch of obese slobs. You cry and whine about "body shaming" but when a fit sexy lady gets on the cover of a magazine all you can do is get butt-hurt because youre not in shape yourself. I assure you none of these people saying rude things about this woman's physique have ever laid a woman anywhere close to her level of attractiveness.

Human beings are supposed to be lean and athletic. We aren't supposed to be sedentary tubs of lard.

I remember in the 90s when there was a huge backlash against "magazine models" for having unrealistic body types. Well a decade and a half later look where we are - most Americans are disgustingly overweight, and there is a giant social campaign trying to make "fat the new thin". When I was in highschool I used to wear "large" sized T-shirts; now if I put on a "large" it would be far too wide and far to long, because they've changed the size of clothing to accommodate all the obese people in this county. A person who is fit can hardly find clothing that fits anymore!

I recently dated a girl who was lean, fit, and big breasted; she was telling me how all the fat tubs of lard she works with are constantly bullying her for not being fat like them. Theyre jealous of her.

Time to bring back fat shaming full force because fatties are shaming people who's bodies look like what nature intended.

24. OllyW, Mar 19, 2015

OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

25. QCassidy352, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016