Sling for iPad - others out there that see iPad as amazing place-shifting device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by czachorski, Mar 18, 2010.

1. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I don't see a dedicated thread out there for Sling with the iPad, but I did see a couple of sling and watching TV in bed references in the "top 3 reasons" thread. How many out there are looking at the iPad as an amazing place-shifting device for TV?

I bought one of these last weekend:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd

and hooked it to my Tivo in anticipation of slinging my Tivo content to my iPad around the house on my home network. It works great right now with the iPhone app, and I am hoping that sling will release an iPad app to make use of the higher resolution. Even if they don't do it on short-order, the up-scaling of the current iPhone app should make for decent viewing of our Tivo from around the house on a 10" screen of the the iPad, especially when my wife wants to watch Tivo in bed and I want to go to sleep, which is most nights.

Are there many others looking forward to this use for the iPad?

2. guinness0514 macrumors newbie

most certainly... One of the biggest reasons I am getting the iPad..

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, I'm really excited to see how it looks on the iPad. I <3 my Sling Box. :eek:

4. FlashHead macrumors regular

Absolutely!

I sling more than I watch my regular TV.

I sling all around my house, with my MacBook Pro if I'm camped out upstairs or in the kitchen cooking, or on my iPod Touch if I'm walking around cleaning or mowing the lawn or something and want to watch a news show that I really don't have to look at all the time. I also spend about half my year abroad, and the slingbox is one of the things that keeps me connected and sane.

It'll be awesome to use the iPad for this. No reason for not getting on the exercise bike or treadmill at home if you've got your iPad right there and can sling.

5. bossxii macrumors 68000

Slingplayer is probably the number 1 reason for me to buy an iPad. I watch a fair amount of TV on my iPhone but loved it on my 13" MBP. The issue is of course resting even the 13" MBP on my chest while laying in bed gets rather warm, and a bit heavy over time. I also use Slingplayer a TON this time of year to watch the NCAA tourney when I'm "working" lol, or suppose to be. Having Slingplayer for iPhone, which even 2x'd on the iPad will be great.

6. czachorski thread starter macrumors 6502a

czachorski

That's what I am thinking too. I am also hoping that sling recognizes the great market opportunity that the iPad is, and quickly releases a slingplayer for iPad to make use of the iPads higher resolution.

As a side bonus, the HD sling has multiple inputs, so we have our old 8+ year old Tivo set-up for the kids in the basement hooked into sling too, so that they can sling their Tivo stuff to the Macs in their room.

Yes, we are in wired nirvana around here.

:D

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I want to do this with an iPad-- but not sure Slingbox works well with Verizon FIOS.

Anyone using FIOS TV with Slingbox successfully?

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Right now this isn't in the budget, but I'm definitely hoping for other ways to stream media to the iPad (without having to transcode and sync). I have a TiVo HD and also separate PC DVR software that dumps its recordings onto a linux samba share. (I have streambaby running on the linux box, so anything recorded from the DVR software or downloaded can be played on the TiVo. I also have a WDTV Live in the bedroom that streams with its own front-end from the same share. This is kind of a cool little device for a hundred bucks if you have a lot of shared or centralized content.)

The DVR software (BeyondTV) can encode to mp4 and theoretically placeshift via web, but I have a feeling this is going to run into a plugin snag, as when I try it on my Macbook it advises me to install VLC. (Possible jailbreak solution on the ipad at some point, I guess).

My other hope is that Air Video gets an iPad version:

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html;jsessionid=B9F0FB9E9B8665D170580AB418143EDC

(I don't mean to derail from the topic of the Slingbox device, I'll definitely be looking into one the next time the budget allows.)

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

There will be an iPad version, they just need to get the iPad in their hand first to test it out.
    http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/536.page

10. MisterL99 macrumors member

Sling - a must, and hopefully closer to HD

Sling is one of the most important reasons i'll buy the iPad. Also its the reason i'm torn on the 3G package to buy. I'm around wi-fi enough that i should be ok with the 250 mb but i just don't want to have to worry about it. that piece of mind is worth the extra $15/mo for me. I'm trying to find an option to decrease my iPhone bill as i'm sure i'll be using this larger screen more than i'll want to squint at the iPhone after using iPad for a few days. I'm considering giving up the data plan on the iPhone all together, which in effect means canceling my iPhone service. I don't think you can have the iPhone activated without a data plan. Anyway, back to the topic, lets hope Sling does something good with a new app and makes the new one clean and clear.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I never got slingplayer for iphone.

First I am annoyed that sling charges for apps to make their product useful.

Second, the screensize just not what I want.

That being said, the iPad would be a really good size to take places. Especially on trips and vacations and such. Much easier to take with you than a laptop and much more functional than a netbook for that kind of thing.

I could honestly see me eventually having an iPad mounted in the bathroom just to be able to watch my tv in there. :) Right now it probably doesn't make sense, but if I get a 1st gen iPad and later upgrade, it would be a great use for such a thing.

Get a nice mounting bracket, perhaps some speakers and set it up. Would be perfect.

12. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I am a huge Sling user and love my iPhone, and would have loved to consider myself buying an iPad to Sling on. However, the quality of Sling on the iPhone stinks compared to running Sling on my Windows tablet (Viliv S5). Frame-rate and quality is so much better on the Windows version. Add in the fact that I can use a VGA-out cable to connect my Windows tablet to a TV to watch Sling in a hotel or at a friend's house, and I'm all set. Doing this on the iPhone requires a jailbroken phone running Cydia's TVout, and even then quality suffers even more because the TV-out capability is disabled for non-Apple apps so this app has to work around it. If quality and TV-out are really important to you, there are better options. Of course I'm not comparing the overall devices, just Sling capability and performance. I'd love for Sling to come out with an iPad specific version that takes advantage of the advanced graphics capability of the iPad, so I guess the situation may change, though they tend to be extremely slow to update their software.

13. MorisT macrumors newbie

Hi there))and I would love to have the IPhone Sling application be able to have the ability to put the Video and Audio out to the IPhone video/audio cable. That way I can play it on my cars video system or display it on a video projector the way I do with YouTube:)

14. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I believe the latest version of Slingplayer supports video/audio out on the iPhone 4.